Oh, my fine culinary comrades, gather around for a taste of the sea with this delectable Scallop Ceviche Salad Recipe! As you desire an exquisite yet simple dish for your guests, look no further than this flavorful and refreshing preparation. This seafood sensation is perfect for South American and Caribbean parties or as a chilled salad on a hot summer day.
The sour citrus blend melds together with juicy scallops creating a mouth-watering combination of acidity and sweetness. The subtle crunch from the red onions adds crisp to the composition while creamy avocado adds smoothness to each bite. The lingering heat from red pepper flakes balances out the tender meatiness of scallops that suspend in citrus juice.
As you explore this article, you will discover every detail of what goes into this recipe – from the ingredient list to how-to-make. So, without any delay, let us dive straight into the preparation and bring out the best of our culinary acumen!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Oh brave feast-lover, let me regale thee with a tale of a dish most divine! This scallop ceviche salad is sure to transport ye to the shores of the tropics with every single bite. Ye shall fall in love with this dish for its freshness and vibrancy alone, but there are many other reasons too.
Firstly, let me tell thee about the main ingredient- sea scallops. These gorgeous gems of the ocean are the cornerstone of this recipe. When chopped up and mixed with citrus juices, they are transformed into a delicacy that is sure to please even the pickiest eater.
Secondly, this recipe boasts beautiful and exotic ingredients such as mangoes, avocados, cilantro, and red onion. These ingredients work harmoniously to create a dance of flavours on your taste buds- sweet and tangy all at once!
Thirdly, what makes this dish so perfect is that you can enjoy it in many ways. You can serve it as ceviche salad or pile it high on top of toasted baguette slices with melty Havarti cheese. It is also an excellent filling for tacos, tostadas or served over rice.
And let us not forget the health benefits! This dish is low in calories yet packs an impressive nutrient punch. The vitamins and minerals from the citrus fruits (lime, orange and lemon juice) are great for boosting one’s immune system, while scallops pack protein and healthy fats.
In conclusion, there isn’t a reason why you wouldn’t love this scallop ceviche salad recipe! With its versatile serving options and health benefits coupled with its refreshing and exotic flavours – it’s sure to become one of your favourites. So go ahead and make this marvellous dish – get thee to a kitchen today!
Before diving into the recipe, let’s start by identifying the ingredient list. This Scallop Ceviche Salad Recipe requires a combination of fresh and colorful ingredients that will make your mouth water.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Sea scallops: 1 pound (preferably large to medium-sized)
- Red onion: 1/2 cup finely chopped
- Mango: 1 cup diced
- Avocado: 1 cup diced
- Arugula: 3/4 cup
- Oranges: 1 orange (zested and juiced)
- Lime juice: Juice from 2 limes
- Lemon juice: Juice from 1/2 lemon
- Olive oil: 2 tablespoons
- Kosher salt: 1 teaspoon
- Ground black pepper: 1/2 teaspoon
- Red pepper flakes: A pinch
- Cilantro leaves: 1/4 cup, chopped
Ingredient Substitutions and Variations
If you are feeling adventurous or want to adjust the recipe to match your taste, there are some ingredient substitutions and variations that you can try:
- Instead of using only sea scallops, you can mix them with halibut or white fish for a citrus ceviche.
- For a shrimp and scallop ceviche, substitute half of the sea scallops with shrimp.
- If you prefer a spicy twist on this recipe, add more red pepper flakes or jalapeños.
- For an added creaminess in the dish, top it off with crumbled havarti cheese before serving.
Make sure to find fresh and quality ingredients to elevate this dish. Now that we have our ingredient list ready, it’s time to get started on the recipe!
The Recipe How-To
Step 1: Prepare the Scallops
Begin by cleaning and preparing the sea scallops. Rinse under cold running water, then pat them dry with paper towels. Evaluate the shape of each scallop as best you can – this will help you create evenly cooked scallops. If some are thicker than others, consider quartering them.
Step 2: Marinate the Scallops
In a mixing bowl, combine the fresh lime, lemon and orange juice with some zest, and stir well. Add a dash of kosher salt and ground black pepper, mix in and set aside. Grab another mixing bowl and mix without over-stirring together the scallops, red onion, cilantro leaves, monggo, jalapeno or red pepper flakes..
Step 3: Chill the Scallops
Mix everything together using a rubber spatula or very clean hands. Don’t over-stir or mash anything! Cover your mixing bowl with cling wrap and allow everything to chill for at least an hour in your fridge.
Step 4: Serve the Scallop Ceviche Salad Recipe
After an hour, check your ceviche mixture, giving it a little stir while cutting up some avocado, tomatoes and arugula for plating. Remove scallops from the fridge and taste a small sample to confirm that they are perfectly seasoned with their marinade. Arrange half part of ceviche on each plate before placing avocado, arugula and tomatoes on top. Drizzle olive oil onto your work of art before serving with lemon wedges.
When it comes to (2) substitutions and variations use Halibut or white fish which would give such fish ceviche a flavour of its own. Add shrimp if you’d like to try out shrimp and scallop as this turns out flavorful. Be creative!
Substitutions and Variations
Oh, the beautiful things that can be done with a ceviche salad recipe! There are tons of exciting ingredient substitutions and variations that you can make to give your dish a unique twist.
For instance, instead of using sea scallops, you could try halibut or other white fish to create a delicious fish ceviche. You can also mix up the seafood varieties and use shrimp and scallops together for a shrimp and scallop ceviche.
If you want to add some creaminess to your salad, go for avocado – it’s perfect for adding a rich texture without being overpowering. In fact, you can even build an entire dish around it! Try out a ceviche tostada or spicy scallop crudo with creamy avocado as the star ingredient.
For those who want to spice things up, I recommend adding red pepper flakes or blood oranges to the mix. Additionally, havarti cheese or baguette slices could be featured in place of salad greens. Simply mix together your scallops with lime juice and your choice of salsa (use table biscuit) – this is sure to heat things up!
Lastly, if you’re looking for a unique twist on the classic ceviche, try mixing diced mangoes into the recipe. It brings out an added sweetness and makes for an interesting variation to this seafood-based classic.
Whatever way you choose to customize your scallop ceviche salad recipe, don’t be afraid to get creative! The possibilities are endless when it comes to making this dish truly your own.
Serving and Pairing
Shall I compare this scallop ceviche salad to a summer’s day? Well, a summer’s day surely does not need any pairing, as it is already the perfect accompaniment itself. However, when it comes to this delicate scallop ceviche salad, there is no shortage of possibilities for mouthwatering pairings.
For a light and refreshing lunch, serve the scallop ceviche salad by itself or on a bed of peppery arugula. If you’re looking for a heartier meal, consider adding slices of juicy oranges, mangoes, or creamy avocado. For added texture, toss in some diced red onions or fresh tomatoes.
To elevate the flavors, pair with a crisp white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio. If you prefer something bubbly, then try it with some sparkling wine or Champagne. To play up the citrus flavors in the dish, a blood orange mimosa or margarita would make an excellent choice.
If you’re feeling adventurous, try serving this dish in different ways. For example, you could place the scallop ceviche on top of crostini or toasted baguette slices and garnish with fresh cilantro leaves and crumbled Havarti cheese. Another idea is to turn it into a ceviche tostada by serving on top of crispy tortillas with sliced avocado and a drizzle of olive oil.
Lastly, if you want something spicy and bold, serve alongside spicy shrimp and scallop crudo or halibut ceviche for a citrusy seafood feast that will surely please any palate.
No matter how you choose to enjoy this dish, one thing is certain – this scallop ceviche salad recipe is truly versatile and will leave your taste buds singing with joy!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Hark! Once thou hast created this delightful scallop ceviche salad, thou may be wondering how to properly store and reheat it. Fear not, fair chef, for I have the answers to thy questions!
If thou wouldst like to make this dish ahead of time, thou canst prepare the ceviche part up to a day in advance. In a separate container, thou canst store the arugula, diced mango, onions and avocado. When ready to serve, simply combine them together and add the scallop ceviche on top.
If perchance there are any leftovers, do take heed that ceviche is best enjoyed fresh, and should not be stored for more than a day. Thou canst keep leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator, but do not freeze it. Thou shouldst also refrain from storing it in metal containers or utensils, as they may react with the acidic lime juice and alter the taste.
To reheat the scallop ceviche salad, I would not recommend it as reheating may affect both the texture and taste. However, if thou still desireth to reheat it, gently sautéing or heating briefly in a microwave will do.
Thus concludes my guidance on making-ahead, storing and reheating thy delicious scallop ceviche salad. May your next serving be as lovely as the first!
Tips for Perfect Results
To get the perfect results, one must have the right technique, ingredients, and equipment. Here are some essential tips for making the Scallop Ceviche Salad Recipe:
1. Use fresh, high-quality ingredients: The key to preparing a delicious Scallop Ceviche Salad is using fresh and high-quality ingredients. Make sure that the scallops and other seafood you are using are not previously frozen and are fresh. It is also important to use fresh citrus juices, such as lime and lemon juice, to ensure that your ceviche is flavorful.
2. Cut the scallops into uniform pieces: Cutting the scallops into uniform pieces ensures even cooking and texture throughout your ceviche salad. The best way to do this is to slice them thinly using a sharp knife or cut them into small cubes.
3. Marinate the scallops properly: To get the best flavor, marinate the scallops in the lime juice mixture for at least 20 minutes or until they turn opaque. Be careful not to marinate them for too long as it may make them rubbery.
4. Chill your equipment and bowl: To keep your Scallop Ceviche chilled while preparing, chill your bowl and utensils in the refrigerator before using them. This will help keep your ceviche cold and enhance its flavors.
5. Adjust seasoning as needed: Before serving your Scallop Ceviche Salad, taste it to see if it needs more seasoning or acidity. Add more lime or lemon juice or additional kosher salt, red pepper flakes to get a perfect balance of flavors.
By following these tips, you will be able to create a delicious Scallop Ceviche Salad that impresses everyone who tastes it!
Furthermore, to ensure you make the most of the Scallop Ceviche Salad Recipe, here are some frequently asked questions (FAQ) with their respective answers. Pay close attention to these tips to prevent common mistakes and achieve perfect results every time.
What is the best fish for raw ceviche?
When creating a delicious ceviche dish, it’s important to start with the right type of fish. Opt for a lean white fish that has a firm or semi-firm texture, as this will work best as the foundation for your recipe. Some prime options to consider are bass, grouper, rockfish, or sole. If you’re not sure which type of fish to select, don’t hesitate to ask your seafood vendor for recommendations. The texture of these fish is vital to ensure that your ceviche has the perfect consistency and doesn’t fall apart.
What are the ingredients for seafood ceviche?
For this recipe, we will be using the freshest wild ocean fish available, such as red snapper, tilapia, Corvina, sea bass, mahi-mahi, halibut, dorado, or even shrimp. Along with these delicious ingredients, we will also be incorporating some key flavors such as lime juice, red onion, tomato, cucumber, cilantro, jalapeno, and salt and pepper. These ingredients will create a perfect balance of spicy and savory flavors that will make this dish an instant hit.
What does the lime juice do in ceviche?
Ceviche is a dish where uncooked seafood is marinated in a mixture of lime or lemon juice, which causes the fish protein to change its texture and appearance. The high acidity of the marinade creates an environment that makes the seafood opaque and firmer in texture, similar to when it is cooked with heat.
What can I use instead of lemon juice in ceviche?
A mixture of lime juice, lemon juice, orange juice, bitter orange juice, or vinegar is ideal for this recipe.
My dear readers, I cannot express enough how much I urge you to try this amazing recipe – Scallop Ceviche Salad. It is a dish that not only satisfies your taste buds but also provides you with essential nutrients and vitamins crucial for your overall health.
With a combination of fresh and zesty flavors of the sea scallops and lime juice, mixed with diced avocado, mango, and oranges, red onion, arugula, and cilantro – this dish is a perfect summer salad that will quickly become your go-to recipe. The addition of baguette on the side with some havarti cheese makes it a great lunch or dinner option.
The beauty of this recipe is its versatility. You can substitute or add ingredients to cater to your preferences without sacrificing its deliciousness. Its vibrant colors make it a great addition to any table setting, and its lightness makes it an excellent pairing option with white wine.
In conclusion, the Scallop Ceviche Salad recipe is not just a dish, but an experience that everyone should have. Its combination of flavors and textures will undoubtedly leave you wanting more. So take a chance and try this recipe – who knows; it might surprise you, just like it did for me!
Scallop Ceviche Salad Recipe
- 1 lb sea scallops
- 1/2 cup citrus juice, but if you only have 1 1 lemon and 1 lime. So inexpensive and so easy, it is worth the flavor (I like to use 1/3 lemon, 1/3 lime and 1/3 orange) or 2 that will work. the combination really adds a good flavor and fresh really is the only way to go. ju oranges, 1 lemon and 1 lime. So inexpensive and so easy, it is worth the flavor
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, to finish off the dish
- 1 mango, cut in thin slices
- 1 small red onion, cut in half and then very thin sliced
- 1/2 cup thin sliced red pepper
- 1 small avocado, chopped
- 5 ounces arugula (1 bag of arugula. Dole or any name brand will work)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 baguette, thin sliced
- 1 slice havarti cheese
- Marinade -- Slice the mango and onion and add them to a small baking dish. Then add the citrus juice, red pepper flakes and toss lightly to coat. Cover with plastic wrap for 20-30 minutes.
- Scallops -- Slice the scallops into thin slices and add to the citrus marinade for another 5 minutes.
- Salad -- Add the thin red pepper and avacado to the arugula and toss. Plate the salad on a plate and top with the cerviche. Pour the extra marinade over the greens along with a drizzle of olive oil and fresh ground black pepper. Now that is a salad!
- Grill or bake some baguette slices and top with a slice of havarti cheese and toast until melted. Serve with the cerviche salad.
Add Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Dora is a chef well-versed in Brazilian and American cuisine. After a hard day's work in the kitchen of her restaurant, she finds the time to jot down recipes for her food blog. Her recipes are sure to delight foodies everywhere, as she strives to make each one unique and enjoyable to read.