Picture this: a sunny day, a refreshing cocktail, and a plate of Shrimp and Crab Ceviche on Fried Tortillas. Nothing beats the delicious combination of fresh seafood, zesty lime, and crunchy tortillas.
As a chef specializing in Brazilian and American cuisine, I’ve prepared this recipe countless times for friends and family. But let me tell you, there’s nothing like watching people’s faces light up as they take their first bite of this mouthwatering dish.
What’s even better – it’s incredibly easy to make at home! Don’t be intimidated by the name ‘ceviche,’ it’s simply marinated seafood that gets ‘cooked’ in citrus juices instead of heat. And by serving it on top of crispy fried tortillas, you’re adding a satisfying crunch to the texture that complements the ceviche perfectly.
I promise you, this recipe will make you feel like you’re enjoying a relaxing afternoon in Puerto Rico or other tropical paradise. So, let’s get started!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Looking for a light and refreshing dish that’s perfect for summer? Look no further! This Shrimp and Crab Ceviche on Fried Tortillas recipe is sure to become one of your all-time favorites.
First of all, the combination of shrimp and crabmeat is simply heavenly. The shrimp brings a delicate sweetness to the dish, while the crabmeat adds a rich umami flavor. And when you pair them with the tangy lime juice and fresh herbs like cilantro, it’s pure magic in your mouth.
And let’s not forget about the crispy fried tortillas. They provide just the right amount of crunch to complement the soft ceviche filling. Plus, they’re so easy to make at home – just fry up some corn tortillas in canola oil until they’re golden brown and delicious.
But the best part about this recipe? It’s healthy! All the ingredients are low in calories and high in nutrients, making this dish perfect for anyone who wants to eat well without sacrificing flavor. Plus, it’s gluten-free and dairy-free, so it’s a great option for those with dietary restrictions.
So if you want a dish that’s sure to impress your friends and family at your next barbecue or summer gathering, try our Shrimp and Crab Ceviche on Fried Tortillas recipe. It’s easy to make, packed with flavor, and guaranteed to become your new go-to summer dish.
Let’s take a look at what you’ll need to make this Shrimp and Crab Ceviche on Fried Tortillas recipe. Don’t worry if you don’t have all of these ingredients in your kitchen, substitutions and variations are available!
For the Ceviche:
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 8 oz. lump crabmeat
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 sliced jalapeno chile, seeded and diced
- 2 medium sized ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 diced English cucumber
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt to taste
For the Fried Tortillas:
- 8 small or medium-sized corn tortillas
- Canola oil for frying
For Garnish and Serving:
- Diced ripe avocado
- Lime wedges
- Coarsely chopped cilantro
Make sure you have all these ingredients beforehand to enjoy this delightful dish without interruptions.
The Recipe How-To
Now that you have gathered all the necessary ingredients, it’s time to make this delicious shrimp and crab ceviche on fried tortillas. Follow these simple steps to create a crowd-pleasing dish that will impress your friends and family.
Step 1: Making the Shrimp Ceviche
We’ll start with the shrimp ceviche. [Put shrimp] in a large bowl and add fresh lemon juice, making sure that all the shrimp is covered. Let it sit for at least 15 minutes, giving you enough time to prepare the other ingredients.
Step 2: Preparing the Crab Ceviche
For the crab ceviche, mix [put crab] in a bowl with fresh lemon juice and cilantro. Add cucumbers, tomatoes, onions and salt to taste. Stir until everything is evenly combined.
Step 3: Making the Fried Tortillas
Heat up enough canola oil in a skillet over high heat. Cut [corn tortillas] into small circles or triangles, and add them into the hot oil until golden brown. Be careful not to burn them and cook them evenly.
Step 4: Preparing for Serving
To assemble, place a spoonful of shrimp ceviche on top of each fried tortilla. Followed by the crab ceviche mixture on behind it.
Step 5: Garnish with Your Selection of Avocadoes, Lime Wedges, and Other Toppings
The final touches are important too! [Add salt] to taste and garnish with chopped avocados, lime wedges, jalapeño chiles or any other toppings as desired.
Now you can get ready to enjoy your delicious dish!
Substitutions and Variations
Looking for ways to put your own spin on this shrimp and crab ceviche on fried tortillas recipe? Here are a few substitution ideas and variations to consider:
1. Swap out the tortillas for tostada shells: If you don’t want to fry your own tortillas, you can use store-bought tostada shells instead for a crunchy base.
2. Use different seafood: Not a fan of shrimp or crab? You can substitute with other types of seafood, such as cubed white fish or scallops.
3. Add more vegetables: While this recipe already has tomatoes, cucumber, and red onion, you can add corn, bell peppers, or even diced mango for some additional flavors.
4. Skip the frying: For a healthier version, make the ceviche without the fried tortillas or use baked tortilla chips instead.
5. Try different herbs and spices: While cilantro is a key ingredient in this recipe, you can also add other herbs like mint or parsley. You can also try using different types of chilis to adjust the spiciness level.
6. Experiment with toppings: Top your ceviche with avocados, sliced jalapenos, pickled red onions, or cotija cheese for added flavor and texture.
By making these substitutions or trying different variations, you’ll be able to create a dish that perfectly meets your taste preferences!
Serving and Pairing
Once your Shrimp and Crab Ceviche on Fried Tortillas is ready, it’s time to serve it up and pair it with the perfect dish.
A great way to serve this dish is by spooning generous amounts of the shrimp and crab ceviche onto the fried tortillas. If you’re feeling fancy, garnish it with a slice of avocado or some chopped cilantro for an extra kick. The crispy texture of the tortillas pairs perfectly with the softness of the ceviche, making for a delicious mouthful in every bite.
This recipe is perfect as an appetizer or a main meal. If you want to indulge even further, try serving some tortilla chips alongside them for an extra crunch factor. You can also try pairing this dish with a cold Mexican beer or a refreshing margarita cocktail to make your meal feel truly authentic.
Plus, not only does this recipe taste good, but it looks great too! When presented on a platter, it’s sure to impress your guests at any party or gathering.
Overall, this recipe is versatile and delicious, whether served alone or as part of a larger meal spread. Try it out at your next event and watch as your guests come back for seconds (and maybe even thirds!)
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
A well-prepared ceviche makes for an excellent make-ahead dish that will last for up to two days in the fridge. You can make the ceviche mixture ahead of time, but it’s best to fry the tortillas right before serving to retain that crispiness.
Storing the shrimp and crab ceviche is quite easy; just place it in an airtight container and store it in the fridge. However, do not add the avocado until you are ready to serve, as they tend to discolor over time, rendering them unappetizing.
If you want to reheat your fried tortillas, preheat your oven to 350°F and arrange them in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake them for five minutes or until they’re crispy again. Be careful not to overcook them, as you might end up burning them.
Another recommendation is that you use tortilla chips instead of frying the tortillas yourself if you’re running short on time or have no intentions of frying anything at all. Ceviche pairs particularly well with chips anyway!
Also, remember not to save leftover shrimp ceviche for more than two days as its texture and safety may be compromised after staying too long in the fridge. The crab ceviche can last a bit longer in the fridge due to its firmer texture.
With these tips and tricks, you can make this dish ahead of time without having to worry about losing any of its flavor, texture, or quality when reheated. Enjoy your delicious shrimp and crab ceviche on fried tortillas anytime you like!
Tips for Perfect Results
When it comes to making the perfect shrimp and crab ceviche on fried tortillas, attention to detail makes all the difference. Here are some tips that will help you achieve mouth-watering results every time:
1. Use fresh, high-quality ingredients: The quality of the ingredients directly affects the flavor and texture of your ceviche. Therefore, it is always recommended to use fresh and high-quality shrimp, crabmeat, vegetables, and tortillas.
2. Marinate properly: Ceviche is all about marination. Make sure to marinate your shrimp and crab overnight to allow the flavors to meld together.
3. Balance flavors: Achieving a balance of sweet, sour, salty, and spicy flavors is key to making great ceviche. Adjust the amounts of citrus juice, salt, and jalapeno peppers as necessary to achieve your desired balance.
4. Don’t overcook seafood: Overcooking shrimp and crabmeat can cause them to become rubbery or tough. Make sure that you do not marinate your seafood for too long or cook them for too long.
5. Use ripe avocados: For an extra touch of flavor and texture, add some ripe avocados to your ceviche before serving.
6. Fry tortillas until crispy: To add some crunch to your ceviche recipe, fry regular corn tortillas until crispy before serving them as a base for the seafood mixture.
Finally, don’t be afraid to experiment with different variations and substitutions in your recipe – this can lead to surprising and delicious results!
this recipe article with a persuasive text that encourages readers to try the recipe and highlights its unique features and flavors.
In conclusion, this Shrimp and Crab Ceviche on Fried Tortillas Recipe is a must-try for anyone who loves seafood and Mexican cuisine. This recipe is packed with fresh flavors, including juicy tomatoes, crisp cucumbers, zesty lime juice, and spicy jalapeno chiles. Plus, the combination of succulent shrimp and lump crabmeat creates a satisfying texture that will leave you wanting more.
What sets this recipe apart is the addition of fried tortillas, which adds a delectable crunch to each bite. The contrast between the crunchy tortillas and the silky smooth ceviche filling is sublime, making this dish a memorable treat for your taste buds.
Whether you’re looking for an easy weeknight meal or an impressive appetizer to serve at your next gathering, this Shrimp and Crab Ceviche on Fried Tortillas Recipe is sure to be a hit. Not only is it delicious, but it’s also simple to make and can be customized to suit your preferences.
So what are you waiting for? Grab the ingredients listed in this article, whip up a batch of homemade ceviche filling, fry up some tortillas, and enjoy the mouthwatering flavors of this Mexican seafood masterpiece. Trust me; your taste buds won’t regret it!
Shrimp and Crab Ceviche on Fried Tortillas Recipe
- canola oil
- 18 (5 inch) tortillas
- 1 1/2 lbs medium cooked shrimp, peeled, deveined and chopped
- 3/4 lb lump crabmeat
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 -2 jalapeno chile, stemmed, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 avocados, peeled, seeded and cut into slices
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- Pour oil into a heavy medium pot to a depth of 1” and heat over medium-high heat until temperature registers 350 on a deep-fry thermometer.
- Working in batches, fry tortillas until light golden brown, turning once, about 30 seconds.
- Transfer tostadas to a paper towel-lined plate to let drain and cool.
- Put shrimp, crab, lemon juice, cilantro, cucumbers, tomatoes, jalapenos, onions, and salt to taste into a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Spoon Ceviche evenly onto tostadas, garnish each with a slice of avocado and serve with lime wedges on the side.
Add Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Dora is a chef well-versed in Brazilian and American cuisine. After a hard day's work in the kitchen of her restaurant, she finds the time to jot down recipes for her food blog. Her recipes are sure to delight foodies everywhere, as she strives to make each one unique and enjoyable to read.