Have you ever wanted to take a trip to the sunny beaches of Costa Rica? While I can’t promise you that exactly, one thing I can do is transport your taste buds with this delicious recipe for Arroz Con Pollo, Costa Rican Style.
This rice and chicken dish is a traditional Costa Rican classic, and it’s easy to see why. It’s hearty but not too heavy, it’s flavorful but not overpowering. And with a few key ingredients like Worcestershire sauce, curry, and paprika, this recipe gives the dish a unique twist that will leave your taste buds tingling with excitement.
Plus, this recipe is so versatile! It can be made with boneless chicken breasts or thighs, or even leftover rotisserie chicken. And with easily accessible ingredients like onion, red bell pepper, and minced garlic clove, you could make this dish any day of the week.
So why not try something new today? Step out of your comfort zone and indulge in this flavorful Arroz Con Pollo dish. Join us as we say “pura vida” – the Costa Rican way of life – through our taste buds!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
The Arroz Con Pollo (Costa Rican Style) recipe is a true gem that will have you wanting more with every bite. This dish is a perfect blend of Latin flavors that make it a hit with everyone who tries it. Whether you’re a fan of traditional Costa Rican cuisine or simply looking to try something new, this dish will leave an impression that you won’t forget anytime soon.
The combination of ingredients used in this recipe is not common in everyday cooking, which makes it even more exciting to try out. From the paprika to the curry, minced garlic clove, and Worcestershire sauce, each flavor profile comes together perfectly for a dish that’s simply hard to resist. The addition of red bell peppers and carrots also gives this dish a refreshing crunch that adds texture and depth.
One thing you’ll love about the Arroz Con Pollo (Costa Rican Style) recipe is how versatile it is. You can easily substitute or add your own favorite ingredients to personalize your meal without compromising on the overall taste and texture. Whether you use rotisserie chicken or chicken thighs, every variation still delivers fantastic results every time.
In addition to tasting great, this recipe is also incredibly easy and straightforward to prepare. You don’t need any fancy equipment or culinary skills to create this impressive dish, making it perfect for even the most inexperienced chefs. Furthermore, the recipe can fit different occasions from casual family dinners to large dinner parties.
The Arroz Con Pollo (Costa Rican Style) recipe will take you on an escape from everyday life by transporting you straight to Costa Rica with every spoonful or forkful. The rich flavors and delicious textures create an unforgettable meal that will have you reaching for seconds or even thirds! So why not try this recipe today and experience the pura vida life firsthand?
- 3 pounds Boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 cups White rice
- 4 cups Chicken broth
- 1 large Onion, chopped
- 1 Red bell pepper, diced
- 1 Carrot, small dice
- 1 Celery rib, diced
- 2 minced Garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground Peppercorns to taste
For the Bouquet Garni:
- 1 Celery garlic
- Small Carrot
- Small Onion
- Red Bell pepper
For the La Tica:
- Green beans (cut into bite-size pieces)
- Diced Tomato
- Curry (to sprinkle over the top)
Spice mix for Arroz Con Pollo:
- Paprika – 2 tbsp
- Cumin – 1 tbsp
- Worcestershire sauce – 1 tbsp
If you prefer dark meat, you can replace the boneless chicken breasts with chicken thighs. Additionally, you may also use a rotisserie chicken and shred it instead of cutting into bite-size pieces.
The Recipe How-To
Step 1: Preparing the Vegetables
1. Wash and dice 1 onion, 1 red bell pepper, and 2 garlic cloves.
2. Peel and dice 1 carrot in small pieces.
3. Clean and cut 1 cup of green beans.
Step 2: Cooking the Chicken
1. Cut 4 boneless chicken breasts into small pieces.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
3. Sauté the chicken until browned on all sides, about 5-7 minutes.
Step 3: Making the Base
1. Remove the browned chicken from the pot and set aside.
2. In the same pot, heat 2 tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat.
3. Add diced onion, garlic, red bell pepper, and carrot to the pot; sauté until onions are translucent.
4. Pour in 2 cups of white rice, stir to combine with other ingredients.
5. Add 4 cups of chicken broth and stir well, cooking for approximately 5 minutes.
Step 4: Adding Spices
1. Mix in ¼ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, ½ teaspoon curry powder, 2 teaspoons paprika, and 2 teaspoons cumin into the rice mixture.
2. Add the bouquet garni (tied bundle of herbs) made by tying together celery rib, green beans or carrot small dice, peppercorn’s cloves garlic, onion cut into quarters or eighths.
3. Return browned chicken to the pot Mixing everything well.
Step 5: Simmering Away
1. Reduce heat to low-medium and let it cook for around 30-45 min or until liquid has been completely absorbed.
2. Remove bouquet garni from pan before serving.
3. Take off from heat and let it rest for 5-10 minutes.
Step 6: Garnish and Serve
1. Serve the Arroz Con Pollo hot.
2. Garnish with fresh cilantro or avocado slices.
Enjoy your delicious Costa Rican Style Arroz Con Pollo!
Substitutions and Variations
When it comes to cooking, there’s always room for creativity and experimentation. It’s no different with this Arroz con Pollo recipe – there are many substitutions and variations you can make to customize it to your taste.
One substitution you can make is using a rotisserie chicken instead of boneless chicken breasts. Rotisserie chicken can cut down on preparation time and add an extra layer of flavor to the dish.
Additionally, if you’re looking for ways to make this recipe healthier, you can swap out some ingredients. For example, instead of using butter, you can use olive oil or a non-dairy substitute. Also, consider swapping white rice with brown rice, as it’s more nutrient-dense.
Another variation is adding a can of black beans or corn to the recipe for extra texture and flavor. You could also switch up the veggies by adding zucchini or squash in place of green beans.
For a spicy twist, try adding some diced jalapeño peppers or hot sauce. Or, if you prefer a milder flavor, leave out the minced garlic or reduce the amount of Worcestershire sauce.
The possibilities are endless when it comes to making substitutions and variations in cooking. So don’t be afraid to get creative and try new things with this Arroz con Pollo recipe!
Serving and Pairing
When it comes to serving and pairing, arroz con pollo is a dish that can easily stand on its own. However, there are some sides and beverages that can take your meal to the next level.
First and foremost, traditional Costa Rican-style arroz con pollo is served with a side of green beans and carrots. These vegetables bring a nice balance of textures and flavors to the plate. Cook them just enough to ensure that they retain their crunchiness.
Additionally, a fresh salad or a tropical fruit plate can also go well with this dish. The salad’s acidity balances out the richness of the meal, while the sweetness of the fruit provides a refreshing contrast.
When it comes to drinks, you could opt for iced tea or beer if you are looking for something refreshing. For something a bit more sophisticated, you might choose a glass of red wine or sangria if you want to match the Spanish roots of this recipe. A classic mojito or margarita could also help transport you straight to Latin America.
Overall, arroz con pollo is such a versatile dish that it can be paired with many different sides and beverages to keep things interesting. So don’t be afraid to experiment until you find your perfect combination that fits your taste and mood!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
One of the great things about this Arroz Con Pollo recipe is that it can be made ahead of time and stored for later use. After preparing the dish, let it cool to room temperature before storing it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
To reheat the dish, simply place it in a microwave-safe dish and add a splash of chicken broth or water to moisten the rice. Heat on high for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally until heated through. Alternatively, you can also reheat the dish in the oven by preheating it to 350°F and placing the dish in the center rack for 20-25 minutes.
It’s important to note that reheating of rice should be done with caution as it can cause food poisoning if not handled properly. It’s recommended to only reheat rice once and consume it immediately. If you have leftover Arroz Con Pollo from the refrigerator that has been reheated once already, it’s best to discard it.
Overall, with just a little extra planning and preparation, this delicious Costa Rican style Arroz Con Pollo recipe can be made ahead of time, stored safely, and reheated for fresh enjoyment at any time!
Tips for Perfect Results
Now that you have all the ingredients and steps to make perfect Arroz Con Pollo, I want to share with you some tips that will help make sure your dish turns out delicious.
First, it’s important to use high-quality ingredients. This recipe calls for Worcestershire sauce, curry, paprika, cumin, minced garlic clove, onion, red bell pepper, butter, olive oil, water, green beans, carrot, salt, and peppercorns to enhance the flavors in the dish. Make sure you purchase fresh and quality products to bring out the best flavors in your dish.
Secondly, be sure to add the spices in correct amounts. Too much spice can overpower a dish while too little makes it bland. Use the suggested measurements in the recipe or adjust according to your taste preferences.
Thirdly, make an effort in properly cutting the vegetables. Small diced vegetables will cook faster than big chunks ensuring all the flavors mix well together without any crunchiness.
Fourthly, after adding tomato sauce into the arroz con pollo mix layer your chicken breast on top of it before simmering for 20-30 minutes. Be patient; do not uncover and stir as it will mess up the cooking process.
Last but not least, add salt and pepper towards the end of cooking time when everything has been mixed up rather than earlier on. This helps you gauge how much seasoning is needed after water evaporates from rice during cooking.
Follow these tips, and you’ll have a perfectly cooked Costa Rican-style Arroz Con Pollo.
In conclusion, this Arroz Con Pollo recipe is a must-try for anyone who loves the rich and flavorful tastes of Costa Rican cuisine. It’s an excellent dish to serve at a dinner party or family gathering, and it’s sure to satisfy any appetite. With the perfect combination of spices, vegetables, and chicken, this recipe offers a taste of Latin America that you won’t soon forget.
So go ahead and try it out for yourself! Whether you want to stick to the traditional Costa Rican style or make some substitutions and variations, there’s plenty of room for creativity with this recipe. And with our tips for perfect results, you’ll be able to make the best Arroz Con Pollo possible.
Remember that cooking is both an art and a science, so don’t be afraid to experiment with your ingredients or cooking techniques. And most importantly, have fun in the kitchen! The joy of cooking is being creative and expressive, putting together something beautiful and delicious for your loved ones.
I hope that this recipe has inspired you to step outside your comfort zone and try something new. In the words of Costa Rican locals – Pura Vida!
Arroz Con Pollo (Costa Rican Style) Recipe
- 2 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1 celery rib
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 bouquet garni
- 8 -10 peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut in 1/2
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon achiote paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large carrot
- 1 lb green beans
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sweet corn
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/2 onion
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon curry
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- In a large pot with 2 litters of water on medium high; add the chicken breast, tomato cut in 1/4s, onion cut in 1/4s, bell pepper, celery, garlic, bouquet Garni, pepper corns, salt and the peeled carrot. Bring to a boil until the chicken is soft enough to be shredded.
- When ready, take the chicken out shredded with the help of 2 forks, cover and set aside.
- Strain stock through a fine mesh strainer into another large container discarding the solids and keep it! we will use it to make our rice.
- Let’s work on the rice now, put all ingredients into a rice cooker.
- The olive oil, achiote paste, salt and the 3 cups of chicken stock. Remember to use the one from the chicken you just did!
- Stir the mixture and try to make sure the rice is evenly spread out. Press the "cook" button. You'll have delicious golden rice in about 45 minutes, depending on your rice cooker. When the rice cooker finishes and switches to "keep warm", wait 10 minutes. Then open the lid and fluff the rice.
- Mean while we are going to work on the veggies.
- Let’s cut the carrot in brunoise and the green beans in rondelle. Add them into a medium pot with 2 cups of the chicken stock left and 2 cups of water let it boil until they are soft. Let’s say till they are al dente, add the corn stir and drain. Set aside.
- Now that we have all the ingredients ready, let’s put it all together.
- In a clean large non-stick pot in medium high temperature, add the olive oil, melt the butter and add the bell pepper, the onion and garlic finely chopped, sauté for 3 minutes, add the veggies we have soften and have ready, sauté 2 more minutes, let’s get the shredded chicken and add it to it, add the cumin, paprika, curry and Worcestershire sauce.
- Get all ingredients combine then add the rice little by little, gently mix ingredients with rice by using a big spoon until it is uniform rice, veggies and chicken. Try and add salt if necessary.
- Serve with a green salad or some french fries. Enjoy.
Add Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Dora is a chef well-versed in Brazilian and American cuisine. After a hard day's work in the kitchen of her restaurant, she finds the time to jot down recipes for her food blog. Her recipes are sure to delight foodies everywhere, as she strives to make each one unique and enjoyable to read.