As a chef specializing in both Brazilian and American cuisines, I have a great recipe to share with you today: Arroz Con Pollo Y Frijoles. This delicious and hearty dish is a popular and traditional meal in Latin American cuisine, especially in Puerto Rico and Colombia.
Arroz Con Pollo Y Frijoles, or chicken with rice and beans, is a satisfying one-pot meal that will leave both your stomach and taste buds happy. It’s a perfect dish for those who love spicy flavors and hearty textures. The combination of chicken broth, long-grain rice, and flavorful boneless chicken thighs creates a dish that warms you from the inside out.
This dish is not only dependably tasty but also very versatile as it can be served on various occasions such as family dinners or small gatherings with friends. So, just imagine yourself getting your hands on this aromatic dish filled with garlicky aromas, spices, onions sizzling on the skillet and steam rising from the hot pot of rice!
Whether you’re a fan of Latin American cuisine or just looking to try something new and exciting for dinner, Arroz Con Pollo Y Frijoles is an excellent recipe to have in your arsenal. So, what are you waiting for? Let’s get cooking!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
If you’re looking for a hearty and delicious one-pot meal that is easy to make, look no further than this Arroz Con Pollo Y Frijoles recipe. This dish has all the makings of classic comfort food, with tender chicken, perfectly cooked rice, and flavorful black beans. But what sets it apart is the bold combination of flavors from tomatoes and green chilies, fresh coarse ground black pepper, and a tangy bit of Monterey Jack cheese.
One of the best things about this recipe is that it’s highly customizable. You can use boneless skinless chicken breasts or bone-in chicken thighs- it really depends on your preference. And while the recipe calls for black beans, you could easily swap them out for refried beans or even pinto beans for a slightly different twist.
But what truly makes this dish special is the way all the ingredients come together in perfect harmony to create a delicious and satisfying meal. The long-grain rice cooks up fluffy and light next to the savory chicken and flavorful black beans, while the tomato sauce and green chilies add just the right amount of heat and umami notes.
Whether you’re in the mood for some Puerto Rican or Colombian flair, this Arroz Con Pollo Y Frijoles recipe will transport your taste buds straight to South America. Once you try this recipe, you’ll understand why it’s a beloved classic among food lovers everywhere. So grab some ingredients and start cooking- you won’t be disappointed!
Here is a list of ingredients that you will need to create the savory arroz con pollo y frijoles recipe:
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon Fresh coarse ground Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Salt
- Salt (to taste)
- Cooking Spray (PAM)
- 1 cup Long Grain White Rice
- 1 can (10 oz) Tomatoes and Green Chilies
- 2 cups Chicken Broth
- 1/2 Onion, chopped finely
- Vegetable oil (divided)
- 2 tablespoons Tomato Sauce
- 1 tablespoon of Goya Sazon
- 1 can (15 oz) Black Beans, drained and rinsed
Note: for a variation of this dish, try substituting chicken for a protein of your choice such as Mexican chorizo, beef chorizo or shrimp.
The Recipe How-To
Now that we have all of our ingredients gathered up, let’s start cooking! This Arroz Con Pollo Y Frijoles Recipeis a flavorful and hearty dish that is perfect for any occasion. Here is how to make it:
- 2 pounds of boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup of long-grain rice
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 1 can of tomato sauce (8 ounces)
- 1 can of tomatoes and green chilies (10 ounces)
- 1 can of black beans (15 ounces), drained and rinsed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil
- Pam cooking spray
- In a large pot, cook the chicken over medium heat in vegetable oil until browned. Remove from the pot and set aside.
- Using the same pot, add in the rice and cook over medium heat in the pan drippings until it starts to turn golden brown.
- Add in the onions and cook until they become translucent.
- Add in the garlic salt, black pepper, goya sazon, chicken broth, tomato sauce, and tomatoes with green chilies; stir well.
- Add in the chicken and mix well with rice mixture.
- Bring everything to a boil before reducing heat to low. Cover tightly with foil then place lid over it for an airtight seal; cook covered for 30 minutes ensuring you DO NOT remove or uncover the lid.
- After 30 minutes has passed turn off heat source but still do not remove or uncover lid as rice will still need time to properly steam.
While rice continues steaming for an additional 10 – 12 minutes using another pan coat mantecado cheese slices with butter coating on each side browning carefully so as not to overcook/melt.
Tip: Mantecado cheese can be substituted with cheddar or colby cheese
Once fully cooked and steamed, discard any remaining liquid on the bottom of the pot and stir in black beans to rice and chicken mixture.
- Serve Arroz con Pollo Y Frijoles hot in individual plates with mantecado cheese topping each plate.
This recipe yields a ton of food, so it’s perfect for a large family or for meal prep for the week. The combination between the juicy chicken thighs, fluffy rice, and savory black beans is simply irresistible. Enjoy!
Substitutions and Variations
When it comes to this Arroz Con Pollo Y Frijoles Recipe, there are numerous substitutions and variations that you can make to add some extra flair to the dish. Adding or substituting different ingredients can completely transform the taste of the meal. Here are a few ideas to consider:
– Monterey Jack Cheese: If you can’t find Monterey Jack cheese in your area, feel free to substitute it for another type of cheese such as cheddar cheese or Mexican blend cheese.
– Chicken Broth: You can replace chicken broth with vegetable broth to make this dish vegetarian-friendly. Additionally, you can use beef broth for a richer, heartier flavor.
– Tomatoes and Green Chilies: If you prefer a milder flavor, think about swapping the tomatoes and green chilies with diced tomatoes or mild salsa.
– Long Grain Rice: Though long-grain rice is traditional for this recipe, you can use medium-grain or short-grain rice instead. In case you don’t have access to any of these grains, substitute them with cauliflower rice.
– Chicken Thighs: Do not hesitate to try a different protein source like chicken breast.
– Black Beans: Ready-to-eat canned black beans work great in this recipe, but if you want to switch up the taste consider substituting them for pinto beans or red beans.
Moreover, you can also experiment with some other traditional Hispanic dishes and make them suit your tastes such as Mexican refried beans, Puerto Rican arroz rojo con pollo or Colombian pollo frito. These variations would only deepen your understanding and passion for authentic Latin American cuisine.
Serving and Pairing
Now, let’s talk about serving and pairing this Arroz con Pollo y Frijoles recipe. This dish is hearty and flavorful, making it a great main course for any meal. You can serve it with a variety of sides to complete the meal.
I recommend pairing this dish with Monterey Jack cheese and fresh cilantro. These toppings add an extra layer of flavor to the already savory ingredients. You can also pair it with a simple side salad, some crusty bread, or even refried beans for some added protein.
If you’re feeling adventurous, try making Arroz rojo con pollo as a side dish. This tomato-based rice recipe is the perfect complement to the chicken and black bean flavors of the main dish. Or, for a more traditional Puerto Rican flair, serve this dish alongside some sweet plantains or yucca frita.
In terms of beverage pairing, you can’t go wrong with a refreshing beer like Corona or Sol. But if you want something non-alcoholic, a glass of sweet iced tea or lemonade will do the trick.
Overall, this dish is versatile enough to be paired with many different sides and beverages. It’s perfect for any occasion, whether you’re hosting a dinner party or just cooking up a quick weeknight meal.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
In my experience with this Arroz con Pollo y Frijoles recipe, I have found it to be a great option for meal prepping and making in advance. One thing to keep in mind is that the rice does tend to dry out a bit when reheated, so adding a splash of chicken broth or water before microwaving can help to revive the moisture.
To make ahead, simply prepare the recipe as directed, but do not add the cheese topping. Then store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
When you’re ready to serve, sprinkle Monterey Jack cheese on top and bake in the oven at 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until heated through and the cheese has melted.
If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. To reheat, transfer individual portions to a microwave-safe dish and microwave in 30-second intervals until heated through. Alternatively, you can reheat the entire dish in the oven at 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
Overall, this Arroz con Pollo y Frijoles recipe is a hearty and flavorful meal that can be stored easily and reheated without losing its delicious taste. It’s a perfect meal for busy weeknights or as leftovers for lunch or dinner.
Tips for Perfect Results
As a chef with many years of experience, I always strive for the perfect results when cooking Arroz Con Pollo Y Frijoles. Here are some tips to help you achieve the perfect dish every time.
One of the most important things to keep in mind when making this recipe is to use high-quality ingredients. Opt for boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs and use long-grain white rice that has been washed and drained properly. Don’t forget to season your chicken and rice generously with fresh coarse ground black pepper and garlic salt to add flavor to your dish.
To further enhance the flavor profile of your Arroz Con Pollo Y Frijoles, consider using tomato sauce and green chilies or different spices like cumin or paprika. Furthermore, if you want to go the extra mile, let your chicken marinate overnight before cooking it to infuse it with even more flavor.
Another essential tip is to use the right proportions of liquid-to-rice when cooking. I recommend using two cups of liquid for every one cup of rice. Chicken broth is an excellent choice for this recipe, but vegetable broth or water can be used too.
When cooking Arroz Con Pollo Y Frijoles in a pot, keep it covered at all times to prevent loss of moisture and ensure even cooking. Also, remember to stir occasionally so the ingredients don’t stick to the bottom of the pot.
If you prefer less mess, consider using a slow cooker. It’s an easy way to make your food without having to stand in front of a stove all day. For best results, cook on low heat for five hours, or on high heat for two and a half hours.
Finally, if you are feeling adventurous, try experimenting with different variations of the recipe by adding other vegetables such as bell peppers or carrots or substituting black beans with refried beans for a different texture.
By following these tips and tricks, you’ll be able to create the perfect dish of Arroz Con Pollo Y Frijoles that will impress your family and friends. Don’t forget to have fun in the kitchen and enjoy the process of cooking this delicious Puerto Rican recipe!
In conclusion, this Arroz con Pollo y Frijoles recipe is the perfect fusion of Brazilian and American cuisine that will leave your taste buds dancing with delight. Not only is it packed with authentic Puerto Rican flavors, but it’s also simple and easy to make right at home. Whether you’re in the mood for a hearty family meal or want to impress guests, this recipe won’t disappoint.
So why not give it a try and see for yourself? With its tender chicken thighs, fluffy long-grain rice, and perfectly seasoned black beans, this dish is sure to become one of your go-to recipes. Plus, with all the variations and substitutions you can make, you’ll never get bored of making this dish.
So grab some Monterrey Jack cheese, chicken broth, tomatoes and green chilies, and long-grain rice- everything you need to create the ultimate Arroz con Pollo y Frijoles recipe. And don’t forget to experiment with different serving and pairing options to make it your own. Trust me; once you’ve tried this recipe, you’ll never go back to plain-old chicken and rice again.
Arroz Con Pollo Y Frijoles Recipe
- 1 (2 1/2 lb) package chicken thighs
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 2 (10 ounce) cans ro-tel original diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (16 ounce) can rosarita traditional refried beans
- 1/2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese (2oz)
- Season chicken with garlic salt and pepper.
- Spray large skillet with cooking spray.
- Place chicken, skin side down, in skillet.
- Brown on med-hi heat about 7 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Remove chicken from skillet.
- Pour rice into skillet.
- Brown rice in chicken fat over med. heat about 2 min., stirring constantly.
- Add tomatoes and chicken broth; blend well.
- Place chicken on top of rice. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat; ocver and simmer 20 minute or until rice is tender and chicken is no longer pink.
- Remove chicken from skillet; keep warm.
- Drop beans by tablespoon into rice; sprinkle with cheese.
- Heat an additional 5 minutes, or until beans are hot and cheese is melted.
- Serve with chicken.
Add Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Dora is a chef well-versed in Brazilian and American cuisine. After a hard day's work in the kitchen of her restaurant, she finds the time to jot down recipes for her food blog. Her recipes are sure to delight foodies everywhere, as she strives to make each one unique and enjoyable to read.