Welcome, kitchen enthusiasts! Today, we are going on a culinary adventure to explore the flavorful and colorful worlds of Costa Rican and Cuban cuisines. Our destination? The magical land of Salsa Arroz Con Pollo Recipe!
Every master chef knows that the key to an amazing dish lies in finding the perfect balance of flavors and textures. And this recipe has it all – hearty chunks of boneless chicken breast cooked to perfection, mixed with long-grain white rice that delivers a luxurious and comforting feel to your taste buds.
But the real star of this dish is the signature salsas that give it a unique twist. Whether you prefer a savory green arroz con pollo, a tangy salsa verde, or a spicy peruvian chicken version, this recipe is versatile enough to cater to your every mood and craving.
So buckle up, grab your apron, and get ready for an exciting gastronomic expedition that will transport you straight into the heart of sunny Puerto Rico or exotic Cuba. Trust me, once you try this recipe, there’s simply no going back – it’s that delicious!
Are you ready? Let’s begin.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
My dear reader, I am here to convince you that this is not your typical arroz con pollo recipe. With the addition of chunky salsa and corn kernels, this dish takes on a whole new level of flavor and texture.
Firstly, let me tell you about the chunky salsa – it adds a bright and zesty pop to every bite. The combination of juicy tomatoes, mouthwatering onions, and a hint of spice gives an energizing lift to the fragrant aroma of the rice and chicken broth. And let’s not forget about the sweet crunch of corn kernels mixed in with the tender grains of long grain rice.
Secondly, this recipe is highly versatile as you can add your preferred substitute or variation from alternative salsa style – whether it be a green arroz con salsa, salsa verde for that Peruvian kick or tomatoes, mixed vegetables or even tomato sauce if that’s what suits your taste bud. Moreover, you can customize the serving size according to the number of people you’re cooking for- it works just as well for two as it does for twelve!
Furthermore, this dish is easy on the cooking time while still packing a punch in terms of taste-bud tantalization – all thanks to its one pan technique which ensures minimal cooking time with maximum flavors! What’s more to love?
So dearest reader, if you are looking to diversify your chicken rice game – I urge you to try this recipe out. Not only will it transport your dining experience straight into the comforting arms of Cuban cuisine, but it will be an absolutely unforgettable journey for your taste buds.
Here is a list of pollo recipe ingredients that you will need before starting your culinary journey. Some of these ingredients are common in Latin American cuisine and others may be more unique to specific regions. Do not worry if you can’t find some of the ingredients – I offer some substitution and variation suggestions for each ingredient later on in the article.
1 cup long grain white rice, divided 1/3 and 2/3
4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 tbsp olive oil, divided
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into serving pieces
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 large onion, chopped
2 minced garlic cloves
2 cups chunky salsa or salsa style of your choice (salsa verde, salsa lizano, tomato sauce)
½ cup mixed vegetables (optional)
1/2 cup frozen corn kernels (optional)
Cilantro leaves with stems to garnish (optional)
The Recipe How-To
Once you have gathered all the necessary pollo ingredients, you can get started with the recipe.
Begin by preheating your one pan on medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and let it heat up for about a minute.
Cooking the Pollo
Once hot, add the boneless, skinless chicken breasts that are cut into serving pieces or chicken thighs to the pan. Cook for about 5 minutes on each side until browned.
Pour one of the following salsas over the chicken according to taste:
– Chunky Salsa
– Salsa Verde
– Puerto Rican Salsa Lizano
– Peruvian Green Salsa
– Any salsa of your choice
When adding, pour about ½ cup of salsa to each batch of chicken.
Rice Chicken Mix
Set aside the cooked chicken and in the same pan, heat up another tablespoon of olive oil.
Add in 1 cup of uncooked regular long-grain white rice and stir for a minute before adding in 4 cups of reduced-sodium chicken broth, along with any additional seasonings for flavor:
- 1 ½ teaspoons of dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Optional: quartered onion, 2 minced garlic cloves
Allow everything to come to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer it for 20 minutes. While simmering, mix in the following ingredients:
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- Mixed vegetables (Optional)
Mixing Everything Together
After 20 minutes have passed, add back in the cooked chicken to the rice pot and mix together with a spoon or spatula. Reserve some of the cooked salsa if you wish to use as toppings later.
Allow everything to cook for an additional 10 minutes, longer if needed, or until the rice has absorbed the chicken broth and is tender.
Garnish with chopped cilantro leaves and serve hot. Dedicate a bowl to your “Pollo Avocado Green Pea Salsa,” which consists of your favorite avocado green pea salsa recipe mixed in with pieces of this chicken rice dish. This recipe serves 6-8 people and is great for family gatherings or special occasions!
Substitutions and Variations
My darlings, let’s spruce up this recipe with some delectable substitutions and variations. Don’t be afraid to experiment with your pantry staples and make this dish your own. Here are few suggestions to revamp the classic Salsa Arroz Con Pollo recipe:
– For my vegetarian friends, you can substitute the chicken with tofu, seitan or tempeh. Use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth to keep it vegetarian-friendly.
– If you’re looking for a gluten-free option, use brown rice instead of long-grain white rice.
– Want some more veggies in your bowl? Add sautéed bell peppers, zucchini, or spinach to your heart’s content.
– Spice things up by adding a diced jalapeño pepper to give it an extra kick or try using a spicy salsa verde in the recipe.
– Love a little sweetness? Try adding some diced pineapple and mango to your dish.
– To make this dish more authentic, add one tablespoon of Salsa Lizano (popular in Costa Rica) or Puerto Rican style tomato sauce for some zesty flavor. You could also serve it with arroz blanco if you want a Cuban variation.
By making these adjustments, my lovely readers, you will turn this already flavorful dish into something truly unique and undoubtedly delicious!
Serving and Pairing
As a chef who is passionate about both Brazilian and American cuisine, I can say with confidence that this salsa arroz con pollo recipe is one that will satisfy your taste buds and keep you coming back for more. It’s a dish that combines the flavors of chunky salsa, long grain rice, boneless skinless chicken breasts, dried oregano, ground cumin, onion and minced garlic cloves – all cooked to perfection with the help of reduced-sodium chicken broth and olive oil. But what makes this dish even more delightful is how versatile it is when it comes to serving and pairing.
Let’s start with pairing. A dry white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio would be perfect for this dish. The acidity in the wine cuts through the heat of the chunky salsa while complementing the spices in the chicken and rice. For those looking for a non-alcoholic option, a cold glass of unsweetened iced tea or lemonade would be an excellent choice.
Now let’s talk about serving. Salsa arroz con pollo is already a complete meal in itself, but if you want to take it up a notch, I suggest adding some steamed green beans or roasted asparagus on the side. The crunchiness of these vegetables adds texture to the dish, while their natural sweetness balances out the spiciness of the chunky salsa.
You can also top this dish with sliced avocado, green peas or even more salsa if you’re feeling adventurous. The creaminess of avocado complements the piquant flavors of chunky salsa while the freshness of green peas adds a pop of color and flavor to this stunning dish.
This recipe is perfect for dinner parties where you want to impress your guests with authentic Costa Rican flavors. It’s also great for family dinners where you want to savor every bite with your loved ones by your side.
Whichever way you choose to serve and pair this tasty arroz con pollo recipe, you’re sure to have a memorable and flavorful meal that is perfect for any occasion.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Now that you’ve prepared this delightful Salsa Arroz Con Pollo recipe and had your taste buds transported to the heart of Latin America, it’s time to talk about how you can make ahead, store and reheat this dish so that you can continue enjoying it even on the busiest of days.
To make ahead of time, you can cook the chicken and rice separately and let them cool completely before storing them in separate airtight containers. Similarly, keep the salsa in a separate container and store all three components in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Reheating is simple as well. To reheat the chicken, place the desired amount on a microwave-safe dish and microwave it for 2-3 minutes or until heated through. You can also reheat it on the stove with a little bit of water or chicken broth to prevent it from drying out.
To reheat the rice, microwave it with some water or broth for 2-3 minutes or until heated through. Alternatively, you can reheat it on a stove by adding some liquid to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
As for reheating the salsa, while it is best eaten fresh, you can always reheat in a saucepan over medium heat for a few minutes until warmed through.
This delicious Arroz Con Pollo dish can also be frozen for up to one month. Allow it to thaw properly before reheating using one of these methods mentioned above.
Whichever way you choose to make ahead, store or reheat your salsa arroz con pollo, be sure to follow these instructions and take care not to overcook or dry out any component of this mouthwatering recipe.
Tips for Perfect Results
When it comes to making the perfect Salsa Arroz con Pollo Recipe, there are little secrets that can help elevate your dish from good to great. Here are some tips and tricks to ensure a perfect result every time.
1) Use high-quality ingredients: The fresher the ingredients you use, the better tasting your salsa arroz con pollo recipe will be. Opt for fresh vegetables, boneless skinless chicken breasts, and long-grain rice to keep the flavors light and delicious.
2) Don’t skimp on seasoning: The key to any flavorful dish is adequate seasoning. Add a generous amount of salt, pepper, dried oregano, onion, and ground cumin to bring out the flavors in this recipe.
3) Cook rice separately: For the best texture, cook the rice separately from the chicken. This will give each ingredient the attention it deserves without compromising flavor.
4) Add salsa at the end: Save your chunky salsa for last. Adding it too early can cause your dish to become too watery or lose some of its chunkiness.
5) Let it rest before serving: Allow your dish to rest for a few minutes before serving. This will give all of the flavors a chance to meld together perfectly and make for an even more enjoyable eating experience.
Using these tips will help you achieve a mouth-watering Salsa Arroz Con Pollo Recipe that’s worthy of being served in Costa Rica or Puerto Rico!
In conclusion, this Salsa Arroz Con Pollo Recipe is a must-try for any food lover looking to expand their culinary horizons. With its delicious blend of traditional Costa Rican and American flavors, it’s a perfect meal to add variety to your weekly menu.
Not only is this recipe easy to make in just one pan, it’s also highly versatile. You can easily adjust the ingredients to suit your tastes or dietary needs, and even substitute some of the more exotic ingredients with more readily available ones.
So why not try something new and exciting today? Whip up this Salsa Arroz Con Pollo Recipe and impress your friends and family with your newfound culinary skills. I promise you won’t regret it!
Salsa Arroz Con Pollo Recipe
- 4 -6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1/2 chopped medium size onion
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1 (14 ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen and thawed corn kernel
- 1 cup thicky and chunky salsa
- Heat the oven to 350.
- Season the chicken with the salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a big skillet over medium heat.
- Add the chicken turning once cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side (it will not be done through).
- Transfer the chicken breasts to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Add the garlic, onion, cumin and oregano to the same skillet and stir to cook softening the onion.
- Add in the rice and stir till the rice is opaque. (2 minutes?).
- Stir in the broth, corn and salsa and bring to a boil.
- Transfer the rice mixture to a 3 quart casserole and cover and bake it for 30 minutes.
- Remove the cover and tuck in the chicken breasts along eith any accumulated juices.
- Cover again and bake for 15 more minutes until the liquid is absorbed.
Add Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Dora is a chef well-versed in Brazilian and American cuisine. After a hard day's work in the kitchen of her restaurant, she finds the time to jot down recipes for her food blog. Her recipes are sure to delight foodies everywhere, as she strives to make each one unique and enjoyable to read.