Hey there foodies, I’m excited to share my latest recipe with you! Today we’re cooking up some delicious spicy beef empanadas that are sure to tantalize your taste buds.
These empanadas are a fusion of Brazilian and American cuisine that will leave you wanting more! With each bite, you’ll experience the decadence of a savory filling encased in flaky puff pastry dough. The combination of juicy ground beef and an array of flavorful spices creates a dish that’s both hearty and satisfying.
But wait, there’s more! The real magic comes from the kick of spiciness that elevates these empanadas to another level. We’ll be using a combination of habanero sauce, red chili peppers, cayenne pepper, and chili powder that will have your taste buds dancing.
Whether you’re looking for a quick snack, a party appetizer or to impress your culinary friends with a new recipe, these spicy beef empanadas are the way to go! Plus, they’re easy to make and customizable with different fillings or dips.
So put on your chef’s hat and dust off your apron – it’s time to begin making some mouthwatering spicy beef empanadas that will make you feel like an Argentinian masterchef right in your very own kitchen. Bon appétit!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Hold on to your taste buds, folks, because this recipe is about to take your palate on a wild ride! You’ll love this recipe for spicy beef empanadas because it’s packed with delicious flavors and it’s a great option for any meal of the day.
First off, let’s start with the main ingredient: spicy beef. Nothing beats a well-seasoned ground beef that is cooked to perfection, am I right? And when you add chili powder, cayenne pepper, and ground cumin to the mix, boom! You’ve got yourself some seriously spiced beef that will make your mouth water after every bite.
But wait, there’s more! This recipe also calls for red bell pepper, garlic cloves, and shallots – all sautéed together to create a strong and savory aroma that infuses into the spicy beef. The mixture is then wrapped in puff pastry dough and baked until golden brown outside and hot and juicy inside.
The flavors don’t stop there because we’re going to add some extra zing with habanero sauce – this sauce brings heat with its fiery kick but still has enough acidity from white wine vinegar that balances everything out perfectly.
If you’re wondering how these empanadas are different from others you’ve tried before, let me tell you: the added cilantro, lemon juice squeezed over the top of empanadas after baking creates an explosion of citrusy flavors combined with cheese-beef filling. And if savory isn’t your thing, don’t worry – you can adjust the spiciness level according to your taste buds.
In short, these spicy beef empanadas are not your average pastry snack- they’re a one-of-a-kind treat loaded with flavorful ingredients that will tantalize your senses. Whether you choose to serve them as an appetizer for a party or as a main course for dinner, these empanadas are sure to be a crowd favorite. So put on your apron and get ready to whip up a batch of these mouth-watering empanadas – bon appetite!
Now, let’s dive into the Ingredient List for our spicy beef empanadas recipe. Here is what you will need:
For the Spicy Beef Filling:
- 1 lb. ground beef: For the base of our filling.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil: To sauté our onion, garlic, and red pepper.
- 1 small onion, chopped: Provides a sweet flavor to contrast with the spice.
- 2 cloves garlic, minced: Adds a bold bite to our filling.
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped: Gives our filling a fruity sweetness and vibrant color.
- 1 tbsp. chili powder: Adds smoky undertones that complement the other spices we’ll be using.
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup tomato ketchup
- 1/4 cup habanero sauce: Provides the heat for our spicy beef empanadas.
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar: Balances the spice with acidity.
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped: Adds freshness and complements our spicy beef filling.
For the Empanada Dough:
- Puff pastry or pie crust: We recommend using either puff pastry or pie crust for your dough, depending on your preference.
- Flour (for dusting)
- 1 egg: To brush over the empanadas before baking.
With these ingredients prepped and measured out, we’re now ready to bring together all of the flavors in every bite-filled empanada!
The Recipe How-To
Spicy Beef Empanadas Recipe
Let’s start cooking, my friend! In this section, I will show you how to make these spicy beef empanadas that will make your taste buds dance the tango. As I mentioned earlier, this recipe combines the best of Brazilian and American cuisine in a single delicious bite.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 habanero chili pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons habanero sauce (or hot sauce of your choice)
- Salt and black pepper (to taste)
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- A handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
Step 1: Preparing the Filling
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and garlic, and cook until onions are soft.
- Add the bell peppers and continue to cook for another minute.
- Now add the ground beef and break it up with a wooden spoon. Cook until it’s browned all over.
- Add the habanero chili pepper, cayenne pepper, chili powder, and ground cumin to the pan.
- Pour in tomato paste, tomato ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and habanero sauce. Stirring constantly to combine it all together.
- Cook everything together for about 10 minutes or until all flavors are well combined.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Finally, add fresh chopped cilantro, mix, and set aside.
Step 2: Assembling Empanadas
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Roll out the defrosted puff pastry or make your empanada dough from scratch.
- Cut it into circles about 4 inches in diameter.
- Add a spoonful of the spicy ground beef filling in the center of each circle, leaving some space around the edges.
- You can also add cheese if you like, beef cheese empanadas are also a great option.
- Beat an egg and brush it around one side of the circle.
- Fold the circle in half to encase the filling inside – this will form a half-moon shape.
- Crimp the edges with a fork or your fingers forming ridges on top.
- Place prepared empanadas onto a baking sheet covered with parchment paper, spaced
Substitutions and Variations
Now, let’s talk about how you can switch up this spicy beef empanadas recipe and make it your own.
First off, if you don’t have access to habanero sauce or prefer a milder heat, you can substitute it with your favorite hot sauce or even diced jalapenos. Use as much or as little as you like to adjust the level of spiciness to your liking.
If you’re looking for a vegetarian option, you can skip the ground beef and use shredded cheese or veggies such as mushrooms or spinach instead. You can also play around with different meats such as chicken or turkey in place of the beef.
For those who are gluten-free, swap out the pie crust or empanada dough for gluten-free options. Just make sure to follow the recommended baking instructions for the specific dough you choose.
If you want to add extra flavor and depth to the filling, try adding a splash of white wine vinegar or Worcestershire sauce before cooking. These ingredients will give your filling an extra tangy kick.
Lastly, don’t be afraid to experiment with different dipping sauces to accompany your empanadas. Classic options include chimichurri sauce or tomato ketchup, but feel free to get creative with new flavors that complement the spice in the filling.
Remember, cooking is all about personal preference and experimentation, so don’t be afraid to try new things and tailor this spicy beef empanadas recipe to suit your taste buds. Bon appétit!
Serving and Pairing
So, you’ve cooked up a batch of mouth-watering spicy beef empanadas? Great job, chef! Now it’s time to serve them up and take your taste buds on a flavor journey. For a complete cultural experience, I recommend pairing these delicious empanadas with a refreshing Pisco sour cocktail or an icy cold bottle of beer.
If you prefer non-alcoholic beverages, try serving these savory snacks with sparkling water infused with fresh lemon or lime wedges which can reinvigorate your palate between bites.
To serve the beef empanadas, arrange them on a large platter layered over some fresh cilantro or parsley leaves. The aroma and colors of the green herbs provide an enticing contrast against the golden-brown puff pastry pockets. Don’t forget to prepare some tangy dipping sauce on hand that will complement these empanadas beautifully.
If you want to go all out and make it more filling, serve them alongside a classic Spanish rice or citrusy quinoa salad packed with vegetables and seasoned with olive oil, salt, and pepper. The nutty grains will make for an energizing side dish to balance out the indulgent flavors of the spicy beef.
So there you have it – a satisfying and satisfying combination for these spicy beef empanadas that are sure to leave your guests asking for seconds!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Now, let’s tackle the question that everyone has: Can I make this ahead of time? The answer is oui, sim, ¡sí!, yes! You can make the empanadas ahead of time and store them in your freezer until you’re ready to dip them into some spicy habanero sauce.
To make ahead: Place the uncooked empanadas on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and freeze for 1 hour. This helps keep their shape. Then transfer to a freezer-safe container or zip-top bag for storage. They’ll keep in the freezer for up to 2 months.
To cook from frozen: Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Arrange the frozen empanadas on a parchment-lined baking sheet, brush with beaten egg wash and bake until golden brown, about 35 minutes.
Storing and reheating: Baked empanadas can be stored in the fridge for a day or two in an airtight container. When it’s time to reheat them, set your oven at 350°F (177°C) and heat them up in aluminium foil for about 10 minutes or until crisped up again.
Overall, this recipe is perfect for making ahead, freezing and reheating as needed. So go ahead and bake a few batches of these beef cheese empanadas and share the love with your family and friends!
Tips for Perfect Results
You’ve got all the ingredients, and you know how to create a fabulous crust that will tempt everyone – but what about tips for perfect results? Before putting together your spicy beef empanadas recipe, take a look at my special tips and tricks for ensuring that they come out perfectly every time.
1. Don’t Overstuff Your Empanadas
One of the biggest mistakes is overstuffing your empanadas. While it’s tempting to fill as much as possible, doing so will cause the crust to break or split apart once baked. Therefore, make sure that there’s enough room in each empanada for air circulation and expansion during cooking.
2. Don’t Forget to Chill the Dough
Another important tip is to chill the dough for at least one hour before forming into the base of your spicy beef empanadas recipe. This step helps the dough hold its shape better while baking, keeping it from becoming too mushy or distorted.
3. Use Parchment Paper
If you’re worried about your empanadas sticking to the baking sheet, place them on top of parchment paper before baking. This trick not only makes it easy to transfer empanadas from pan to plate but also eases the process of cleaning up afterward.
4. Choose Quality Beef
Choosing high-quality ground beef ensures that your empanadas have an excellent flavor and texture. Opt for grass-fed varieties that are not only more sustainable but also mimic traditional Argentinian beef preparations.
5. Add a Dip
A perfect dipping sauce can take your spicy beef empanada recipe to another level of deliciousness. Whether you prefer something with tang or heat, there are countless sauces that pair well with this dish. Try making a simple argentinian chimichurri sauce, spicy habanero sauce or regular tomato ketchup for a little sweetness.
By following these simple tips, you can ensure that your spicy beef empanadas recipe come out perfectly every time. So enjoy your delicious and savory baked empanadas with your loved ones and bon appétit!
Are you ready to wow your taste buds with these spicy beef empanadas? With a simple list of ingredients, easy-to-follow instructions, and my personal tips and variations, you’re ready to create a delicious appetizer, lunch or dinner dish that everyone will enjoy. Whether you’re in the mood for something spicy or crave a savory cheese-filled pastry, you can easily customize this recipe to suit your preferences.
I urge you to get creative with your empanada fillings by trying out different meat or vegetable combinations. Don’t be afraid to experiment and make this dish your own! With this recipe at your fingertips, you can impress your family and friends with a versatile meal that’s perfect anytime, anywhere.
So what are you waiting for? Get cooking and let me know how you like these spicy beef empanadas. In no time, I’m sure they’ll become a new staple in your home. Bon appétit!
Spicy Beef Empanadas Recipe
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 5 shallots, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 -3 red chili peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 ounces concentrated tomato paste
- 5 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon habanero sauce
- 1/2 lemon, squeezed
- 3 large hardboiled egg, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 8 sheets puff pastry
- 2 eggs, beaten (for glaze)
- Pre-heat oven at 375°F Pour some cooking oil in a skillet and press cloves over the pan.nAdd chopped shallots and fry on low heat, until soft but not browned. Add a bit of salt and the chopped red chili pepper.
- Add ground beef and let brown on med-high heat. Drain the mixture put back in skillet. Add bell pepper and cook on high for about a minute.
- Turn heat to med-low and add cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, flour, and tomato sauce. Turn off the stove and let cool to room temperature.
- Now mix some worcestershire sauce (to taste, I love it and put it in practically everything, but can be omitted), vinegar, lemon juice, habanero pepper sauce (or tabasco). To add a hint of sweetness, I add tomato ketchup, about 5 tbs.Stir in chopped egg, jalapenos and cilantro. Add pepper and salt to taste.
- Let pastry thaw and cut 5" circles.
- Put pastry on baking sheet. Put about a spoonful of the meat mixture on one half of the circle. Put some beaten egg on the edges and fold. press edges with a fork. Put some more egg mixture over the empanadas for glaze. Bake in preheated oven for about 20 mins until golden brown.
Add Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Dora is a chef well-versed in Brazilian and American cuisine. After a hard day's work in the kitchen of her restaurant, she finds the time to jot down recipes for her food blog. Her recipes are sure to delight foodies everywhere, as she strives to make each one unique and enjoyable to read.