Delicious Arroz Rojo Recipe with Tender Beef
Do you want to impress your family and friends with a flavorful and delicious meal that packs a punch? Look no further, because I have just the recipe for you. Introducing my Arroz Rojo with Beef Recipe, a bold and savory choice that combines the best of both worlds – American and Brazilian cuisine.
This recipe is a perfect example of how food can bring people together, showcasing the different cultures that influence our culinary traditions. It features long-grain white rice mixed with lean ground beef, garlic powder, chili powder, tomato sauce, green peppers, onions, and sour cream. All of these ingredients work in perfect harmony to create an explosion of flavors that will leave your taste buds wanting more.
Arroz rojo (red rice) is a staple in Mexican cuisine and is typically served as a side dish. In this recipe, I added ground beef to make it a flavorful main course. This dish is easy to make and cooks entirely in one skillet, which means less cleanup time for you. So why not try something new and exciting tonight? Give my Arroz Rojo with Beef Recipe a chance and prepare to be amazed by the deliciousness of this dish.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
This is not just any ordinary red rice and beef recipe. It’s the ultimate comfort food, perfect for a family dinner or a gathering with friends. You’ll love this Arroz Rojo with Beef recipe because it’s simple, delicious and full of flavor.
The recipe ingredients come together in one skillet to make a comforting and hearty entrée that’s incredibly satisfying. With just a handful of ingredients like ground beef, long-grain white rice, tomato sauce, green peppers and onions, it’s easy to prepare and budget-friendly too!
One of the best things about this recipe is its versatility. You can easily swap ground beef for any other protein of your choice or leave it out altogether for a vegetarian option. The addition of chili powder and garlic powder gives it an extra kick of flavor that makes it stand out from other rice dishes.
But perhaps the most irresistible thing about Arroz Rojo with Beef is how well it pairs with other dishes. Whether you’re serving up beachside snapper or carne asada, this Mexican-style red rice acts as the perfect complement.
Plus, it’s super convenient to make thanks to Swanson beef stock which adds more depth of flavor to the rice. You’ll get the perfect texture for your rice every time because Swanson beef stocks are made with long-simmered bones and vegetables that provide a rich taste in everything you cook.
Overall, this dish is much more than just “rice and beef”. With its blend of spices, including chile rojo and tomato paste, it’s a meal that carefully balances simplicity with unbeatable flavor. There’s just something so satisfying about digging into a warm bowl of Arroz Rojo with Beef as you share stories and memories with your loved ones!
Here are the ingredients you will need for the recipe:
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups Swanson beef stock
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and black pepper to taste
These ingredients make up the base of the traditional Mexican red rice or arroz rojo recipe. Make sure to pick the highest quality, fresh vegetables and meat available to get the best cooking results.
The Recipe How-To
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 large chopped onion
- 1 medium chopped green pepper
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 1 ¾ cups beef stock
- ¾ cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Add the chopped onions and green pepper and cook for about 3 minutes or until they become tender.
Add the ground beef into your skillet and cook until it’s browned.
Mix in minced garlic, cooking for additional one minute.
Add rice to your mixture, stirring well to coat grains with the seasoned oil.
Pour in both the beef stock and tomato sauce, then sprinkle in chili powder on top.
Bring everything to a simmer, then cover with a lid and reduce heat to low.
Cook the arroz rojo for around about 30 minutes or until rice is cooked and liquid has been fully absorbed.
Allow the rice to sit covered for approximately five minutes before fluffing with a fork.
Season your arroz rojo with salt and black pepper as needed.
Enjoy your hot, flavorful Mexican dinner!
Substitutions and Variations
There are many ways you can switch up this dish to make it your own. Here are some ideas:
– Meat: Instead of ground beef, you could use ground turkey, chicken or pork. You could also swap it for shredded chicken or beef, or even meatless crumbles.
– Rice: While long-grain white rice is traditional for arroz rojo, you could use brown rice for a healthier version. You could also try different types of rice such as jasmine or basmati.
– Vegetables: Feel free to experiment with different vegetables in this recipe. Red bell pepper or poblano pepper would be great alternatives to green pepper, and you could add diced zucchini or corn for some extra color and flavor.
– Spices: If you want to spice things up, try adding some cumin, smoked paprika or chipotle powder to the mix. You could also use fresh minced garlic instead of garlic powder.
– Sauce: In place of tomato sauce, you could use a can of crushed tomatoes or fire-roasted tomatoes for a smoky flavor. If you want to go lighter on the tomato flavor, reduce the amount of sauce and add some beef broth instead.
– Toppings: Don’t forget toppings! You could garnish with chopped cilantro or parsley, sliced avocado, lime wedges or a dollop of sour cream.
Remember, cooking is all about experimentation and finding what works best for you and your taste preferences. So have fun with it and don’t be afraid to get creative!
Serving and Pairing
The Arroz Rojo With Beef recipe is a flavorful and comforting dish that makes for a delicious one-skillet entree. One of the best things about this dish is that it can be paired with a wide variety of sides to make for a hearty and satisfying meal. Here are some of my favorite ways to serve and pair this dish:
– Sour Cream: A dollop of sour cream on top of the arroz rojo with beef is an amazing way to add some creaminess and tanginess to the dish.
– Avocado: Sliced avocado pairs perfectly with the spiciness of the arroz rojo with beef. Its creamy texture complements the rice and beef, while adding some healthy fats to your meal.
– Tortillas: Warm tortillas are a classic pairing for any Mexican-inspired dish, and this one is no exception! Use them to scoop up some rice and beef, or make some tacos with them.
– Salad: A fresh salad is an excellent way to balance out the richness of the arroz rojo with beef. A simple green salad or a side of fresh pico de gallo would be perfect.
– Grilled Veggies: Grilled vegetables are always a great choice to serve alongside any meat-based dish. Some grilled zucchini or bell peppers would complement the flavors in this recipe perfectly.
This dish also goes well alongside other Mexican-inspired mains like carne asada or beachside snapper, or as a side to Spanish rice. No matter how you choose to serve it, this arroz rojo with beef recipe is sure to be a crowd-pleaser!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
When it comes to making ahead and storing arroz rojo with beef, there are a few things to keep in mind. Firstly, you can easily make the recipe ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for up to three days. This is perfect for busy weeknights or for meal prepping.
You can also freeze the arroz rojo with beef for up to two months. Simply let it cool completely before transferring it to an airtight container or freezer-safe bag. When you’re ready to enjoy it, place it in the refrigerator overnight to thaw before reheating.
To reheat the arroz rojo with beef, simply microwave it in 30-second increments until hot, stirring occasionally. You can also reheat it on the stove by placing it in a pan over medium heat and stirring frequently until heated through.
One thing to keep in mind is that when reheating rice, it can tend to dry out. To combat this, you can add a small amount of water or broth as you reheat it to help restore moisture.
With these tips, you’ll be able to enjoy your arroz rojo with beef any night of the week without worrying about spending too much time in the kitchen!
Tips for Perfect Results
When cooking Arroz Rojo with Beef, there are a few tips that can help ensure the perfect, flavorful dish every time. Here are some of my recommendations to achieve excellent results:
1. Use long-grain white rice: Short grain rice varieties may turn out gummy and sticky. Long-grain white rice guarantees perfectly separate grains.
2. Prepare rice properly: Rinse the rice before you cook it to remove any excess starch. Then, cook the rice uncovered on medium-low heat and avoid stirring too much. After 18-20 minutes, cover the pot and let it sit for an additional 5-10 minutes.
3. Don’t shy away from spices: The key to achieving an authentic Arroz Rojo is to use traditional Mexican spices such as garlic powder, chili powder, and cumin. These spices add depth of flavor to the dish.
4. Add tomato paste: Instead of using just tomato sauce, try adding a little bit of tomato paste to your Arroz Rojo recipe for added richness and texture.
5. Brown your beef well: When browning your ground beef, make sure to let it cook long enough to attain a rich brown color before adding other ingredients.
6. Use lean ground beef: It’s important to use lean ground beef when making Arroz Rojo with Beef. This ensures that the dish is not too greasy and is healthier overall.
7. Consider serving with sour cream: A dollop of sour cream adds a creamy flavor that complements the savory notes in the dish.
8. Let it rest: Allow the cooked Arroz Rojo with Beef to rest for about five minutes before serving so that flavors get absorbed throughout the dish.
By following these tips, you can ensure that your Arroz Rojo with Beef comes out delicious every time!
As with any recipe, there may be some questions or concerns that you have before attempting to make the dish. Here are some frequently asked questions and answers to guide you through the process of making Arroz Rojo with Beef.
How to cook rice and meat recipe?
To begin with, grab a sizable pan and heat up your preferred cooking oil. Add the onions into the pan and let them soften for a couple of minutes until they appear translucent. Next, place the cubed beef in the pan and stir everything well. Remember to turn down the heat, place a lid over the pan and allow the ingredients to simmer until the beef turns succulent and tender. Once the meat is completely cooked, proceed to add the cooked rice. Make sure to mix everything thoroughly to avoid clumping. Lastly, incorporate the juicy diced tomatoes to the mixture and top off with a sprig of coriander, adding an extra layer of flavor to the dish.
Where is Arroz Rojo from?
A popular side dish in Tex-Mex cuisine, Mexican rice is made from white rice and flavored with tomato, garlic, onion, and other ingredients. This dish is also known as Spanish rice, or arroz a la mexicana, arroz mexicano, or arroz rojo in Spanish.
In conclusion, if you are looking for a flavorful and satisfying one-skillet entrée, look no further than this Arroz Rojo with Beef recipe. Whether you serve it for a family dinner or a night in with friends, the combination of savory and spicy flavors in this dish are sure to please. Plus, with easy substitutions and variations available, you can customize your arroz rojo to fit any dietary or flavor preferences.
Don’t forget the finishing touch of a dollop of sour cream on top for an elevated flavor experience. And as always, make ahead, store and reheat as needed for an even more convenient meal. Try out the recipe today to experience the deliciousness of this traditional Mexican red rice with beef that has been perfected over the years. I guarantee that you’ll love every bite!
Arroz Rojo With Beef Recipe
- 3/4 lb lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 3/4 cups swanson beef stock
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- Cook the beef, onion and pepper in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until the beef is well browned, stirring often to separate the meat. Pour off any fat.
- Stir the stock, tomato sauce, chili powder and garlic powder in the skillet and heat to a boil. Stir in the rice. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 20 minutes or until the rice is tender. Serve with the cheese and sour cream, if desired.
Add Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Dora is a chef well-versed in Brazilian and American cuisine. After a hard day's work in the kitchen of her restaurant, she finds the time to jot down recipes for her food blog. Her recipes are sure to delight foodies everywhere, as she strives to make each one unique and enjoyable to read.