If you’re craving comfort food with a twist, then look no further than this rissole potatoes recipe. This classic French cooking technique involves sautéing partially cooked potatoes until they become golden brown patties of savory goodness. The addition of fresh herbs like chives and parsley, as well as plenty of unsalted butter, elevate the dish to a level of culinary sophistication that will impress even the pickiest eaters.
I discovered this recipe while scrolling through food blogs and websites, searching for new and exciting ways to cook potatoes – a staple in my pantry. The unique cooking method caught my attention, and after a few tries, I perfected the recipe. Now, it has become a regular in my dinner rotation.
The beauty of this potato dish is its versatility – it can be served as a snack or side dish, making it perfect for any occasion. From family dinners to potlucks, these rissole potatoes will be the star of the show. So grab your apron and let’s get started on this delicious journey!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you ready for a crave-worthy masterpiece that’s perfect for any dinner party or casual night in? Look no further than Rissole Potatoes – a mouth-watering recipe that is sure to delight your taste buds. Not only are these potatoes packed with flavor, but they’re also incredibly easy to make.
But what makes this recipe so special? For starters, it utilizes fresh chives and parsley, which add a burst of herbaceousness to every bite. And if you’re looking for a way to indulge without feeling guilty, this dish is perfect for you. It incorporates unsalted butter in just the right amount, ensuring that you get all of the richness without overdoing it.
But perhaps the best part of Rissole Potatoes is that they’re a versatile side dish that can complement just about anything. Whether it’s beef rissoles, grilled ham, roasted potatoes, or even sweet potato mash, these potatoes will brighten up any meal. You can even make them ahead of time and reheat them when you’re ready to serve your guests – trust me, they taste just as good reheated as they do fresh out of the oven.
So whether you’re an experienced home cook or someone who’s just starting out in the kitchen, give this recipe a try. I promise you won’t be disappointed. In fact, Rissole Potatoes might just become your new go-to dish for any occasion – from family dinners to holiday parties and everything in between.
Here are the ingredients you will need to make rissole potatoes, a delicious side dish that combines the best of Brazilian and French cooking techniques:
For the rissole potatoes recipe:
- 2 pounds small red potatoes
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (softened)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1/4 cup fresh chives (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
For serving and pairing:
- Queso fresco or feta cheese
- Tomato sauce
- Roasted potatoes
- Sweet potato mash
You can find most of these ingredients at your local grocery store, but for a more unique flavor, consider using fresh herbs from your garden or local farmer’s market.
The Recipe How-To
Step 1: Parboil Potatoes
To start making the rissole potatoes, you will need to parboil the small red potatoes until they are partially cooked. To do this, place 2 pounds of small red potatoes in a pot with enough water to cover them, bring it to a boil and let it simmer for approximately 10 minutes.
Once the time is up, remove the potatoes from the pot and drain them. You then want to melt 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter in a pan over low heat, and then add the partially cooked potatoes.
Step 2: Sauté Potatoes
Cover the pan and cook the potatoes until soft for about 15 minutes. Use a fork or tongs to turn the potatoes frequently to ensure they are cooking evenly. Once ready, remove them from heat, and let them cool down for a while.
Step 3: Form Potato Patties
With your cooled, cooked potatoes, form small discs or patties with your hands, to create “rissole”. You can also use a cookie cutter or a cup edge to help support shaping perfectly circle moulds.
Step 4: Butter The Pan
Melt another 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter in another pan on low heat. Add the formed potato patties into the pan once the butter has melted. Cook them until they become golden brown on each side.
Step 5: Season And Add Finishing Touches
Sprinkle your newly made potato rissoles with roughly chopped fresh chives and parsley as desired. Season it with seasoning salt lightly before serving, if preferred.
The tasty crispy-on-the-outside, tender-on-the-inside potato rissoles is now ready to serve! Enjoy it as an appetizer or alongside your favorite main dish.
Substitutions and Variations
For those looking to switch things up or accommodate dietary restrictions, there are several substitutions and variations that can be made to this tasty rissole potatoes recipe. Here are a few ideas:
– Sweet Potato Mash: Instead of using small red potatoes, try swapping in canned or freshly roasted sweet potato mash. The natural sweetness of the potatoes will add a unique flavor to the dish.
– Beef Rissoles: For a meatier version of this recipe, consider making beef rissoles instead of potato patties. Simply use ground beef as the main ingredient and follow the same cooking technique.
– Queso Fresco: Add some Mexican flair to your potato rissoles by topping them with crumbled queso fresco cheese. This fresh and tangy cheese is the perfect complement to the crispy texture of the potato patties.
– Side Dishes: Want to make this recipe into a full meal? Consider serving it alongside some healthy side dishes such as roasted vegetables, a simple green salad, or even some sliced ham.
– Tomato Sauce: If you prefer your potato rissoles with a tangy tomato twist, try serving them with a dollop of tomato sauce on top. This classic condiment pairs perfectly with the rich buttery flavor of the patties.
– Norfolk Potato: For a uniquely British twist on this classic Brazilian recipe, try using Norfolk potatoes instead of small red potatoes. These potatoes have an earthy flavor and firm texture that makes them perfect for rissole potatoes fresco.
No matter how you choose to make this delicious recipe your own, the end result is sure to be satisfying and mouth-watering. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different ingredients and flavors until you find your perfect match!
Serving and Pairing
Rissole potatoes are a scrumptious side dish that can be served with a wide variety of main courses. These potato patties are versatile and pair well with meat, chicken, or vegetarian meals. One popular pairing is with beef rissoles – the soft, buttery texture of rissole potatoes complements the savory flavor of beef perfectly.
If you’re looking for a lighter meal, try serving these potato rissoles with a fresh garden salad or roasted vegetables. The contrasting textures and flavors will make for a balanced and satisfying meal.
For an extra-special twist, try topping your rissole potatoes with some tomato sauce and grated queso fresco. This Mexican-style twist on a classic recipe adds a creamy tanginess to the crispiness of the potato patties.
If you’re hosting a party or gathering, you can also serve these delicious potato rissoles as an appetizer. Pair them with sweet potato mash, ham, or other healthy recipes to create a diverse selection of side dishes.
Overall, Rissole potatoes are an excellent side dish that pair well with many main courses and side dishes. Serve these delectable munchies at your next occasion to impress your guests with their new favorite comfort food!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
One of the great things about rissole potatoes recipe is that you can make them ahead of time, and store them in the fridge or freezer for later use. To reheat them, you just need to follow a few simple steps.
To store cooked rissole potatoes fresco, place them in an airtight container, and refrigerate for up to 3-4 days. Before reheating, allow them to come to room temperature. When ready to serve, heat up a skillet with some butter over medium heat. Add the leftover rissole potatoes into your skillet and cook them until they are golden brown on both sides.
If storing the rissole potatoes for longer periods, it’s recommended to freeze them. Allow your potato rissoles to cool completely before placing them into a freezer-safe bag or container. Store in the freezer for up to 2-3 months.
To reheat frozen potato rissoles, remove them from the freezer and let them come to room temperature. Preheat your oven at 350°F (180°C) and place the frozen potato patties onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Heat in the oven for around 15-20 minutes or until warmed through and crispy on the outside.
With these simple steps and easy tips, you will be able to enjoy your delicious rissole potatoes recipe anytime you wish!
Tips for Perfect Results
To achieve perfect results when cooking the delicious Rissole Potatoes Recipe, follow these helpful tips:
1. Parboil the potatoes: To ensure your rissole potatoes are tender and cook evenly, parboil the potatoes for 10 minutes before adding them to the recipe.
2. Use unsalted butter: When making the rissole potatoes, use unsalted butter instead of salted butter to avoid making them too salty.
3. Add herbs for flavor: For a burst of fresh flavor in your dish, add some freshly chopped parsley or chives to the potato mix.
4. Sauté the potatoes partially cooked: Before adding them to the potato patties, try sautéing partially cooked potatoes over low heat with unsalted butter until they are golden brown.
5. Use a steamer for perfect texture: If you have a steamer available, use it to cook your potatoes instead of boiling them. This method retains more nutrients and results in a lovely texture.
6. Avoid overcrowding: Be sure not to overcrowd the pan when cooking the rissole potatoes on the stovetop. This could result in uneven cooking and may make it difficult to get that beautiful golden-brown exterior.
7. Double-check seasonings: Before you serve your delicious rissole potatoes, double-check that you have seasoned them well with salt and pepper for exceptional taste.
8. Experiment with different types of potatoes: Don’t be afraid to experiment with different types of potatoes like sweet potatoes or canned potatoes, which can give additional depth and flavor to your rissole potatoes recipe.
By following these tips, you can be sure that your pot of beautiful Rissole Potatoes will turn out perfectly every single time!
Now that we have discussed in detail the ingredients, recipe, and tips for perfect results of the Rissole Potatoes Recipe, let’s address some frequently asked questions to help you navigate any doubts or uncertainties you may have about making these delicious potato patties.
How to cook new potatoes Jamie Oliver?
First, make sure to give your potatoes a thorough wash before starting. Once your potatoes are clean, parboil them until they are just about tender. After draining them, it’s time to add flavor. Take some rosemary leaves and pick and bash them. Drizzle a small amount of oil over the potatoes, add a teaspoon of sea salt, and some freshly ground black pepper. Finish it off by tossing in the rosemary. Place the potatoes in a roasting tray, and bake in the oven until they turn a golden color. After approximately 25 minutes, they will be ready to serve.
How to boil potatoes Martha Stewart?
To prepare the potatoes, grab a large pot and fill it with water. Let it come to a boil and then add the potatoes. Leave them to cook until they are soft enough to be pierced by a fork, usually around 15 to 18 minutes. Once they’re done, drain the water and put the potatoes in a separate warm serving bowl. Add some butter, a pinch of salt and pepper, and give it all a good mix. Your potatoes are now ready to be served!
In conclusion, the Rissole Potatoes recipe is a simple yet flavorful dish that I recommend every home cook to try. The sautéing and cooking techniques used in this recipe result in a crispy outside and soft and fluffy inside, making it hard to resist indulging in more than one. This recipe is versatile and can be paired with various side dishes, sauces, or enjoyed on its own as a snack.
Don’t hesitate to try different variations of the recipe by adding your own twist, such as different herbs or seasonings or even swapping the red potatoes for sweet potatoes. The options are endless! Additionally, this recipe can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator or freezer for future consumption, making it an excellent choice for meal prepping.
In summary, whether you’re hosting a dinner party or looking for an easy side dish to accompany your meal, this Rissole Potatoes recipe is sure to please. So head to your local grocery store, grab some fresh potatoes and herbs, and give it a try. Trust me; you won’t regret it!
Rissole Potatoes Recipe
- 1 1/2 lbs small red potatoes, peeled
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- salt and pepper
- Parboil potatoes in a sauce-pan for 10 minutes; drain.
- Melt butter in the pan over low heat.
- Add potatoes, cover, and cook 10 minutes.
- Swirl the pan occasionally to stir, holding the cover in place.
- Uncover and increase heat to medium-high.
- Saute 10 minutes, turning potatoes until golden brown on all sides.
- Toss with butter, herbs, and seasonings before serving.
Add Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Dora is a chef well-versed in Brazilian and American cuisine. After a hard day's work in the kitchen of her restaurant, she finds the time to jot down recipes for her food blog. Her recipes are sure to delight foodies everywhere, as she strives to make each one unique and enjoyable to read.