Looking for a delicious one-pot meal that takes minimal effort but makes a big impact? Look no further than Arroz Con Pollo! A classic dish made in Spain, Latin America, and the Caribbean, Arroz Con Pollo (or Chicken and Yellow Rice) is packed with flavor and comforting goodness. This recipe combines medium-grain rice with chicken thighs, onions, peppers, garlic, peas, pimentos, and a hint of beer to create a hearty and aromatic meal that will satisfy even the most discerning of palates.
Not only is this dish incredibly flavorful and filling, it’s also incredibly versatile. You can adjust the seasoning and spice level to your liking, swap in different ingredients based on dietary preferences or what you have on hand, or even cook it in a pressure cooker or bake it as a casserole! Whether enjoyed for supper on a busy weeknight or served up at a festive gathering with family and friends, Arroz Con Pollo is sure to become a staple in your recipe book. So let’s dive in and discover how to make this classic dish come alive!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Arroz con Pollo, or Yellow Rice & Chicken, is a classic Latin American dish with a rich history and flavor. If you’re looking for a hearty, filling meal that’s sure to impress your guests or satisfy your hunger, then look no further than this recipe.
One of the main reasons you’ll love this recipe is its versatility. Whether you’re in the mood for a traditional Puerto Rican or Cuban version of this dish, or you want to add your own unique twist with different toppings and ingredients, arroz con pollo can easily be customized to fit your tastes.
In addition, arroz con pollo is a one-pot meal, making it perfect for busy weeknights when you don’t have much time to cook or clean up. Simply brown the chicken and sauté the vegetables before adding the rice and broth, then let everything simmer on low heat until cooked through. It’s that easy!
Furthermore, arroz con pollo is packed with flavor and nutrition thanks to its combination of protein from the chicken and starch from the rice, as well as various vegetables like onions, peppers, and garlic. And if you need an extra boost of vitamins and minerals, consider adding peas or pimentos to the mix.
Finally, arroz con pollo pairs well with a variety of drinks, such as beer or cooking wine, depending on your personal preferences. So whether you want to enjoy a refreshing beverage alongside your meal or cook with an ingredient that adds an extra layer of flavor to the dish itself, this recipe has got you covered.
In conclusion, arroz con pollo is a delicious and satisfying meal that everyone can enjoy. With its versatility, simplicity, and nutritional value combined, it’s no wonder why it’s become such an iconic dish in Latin American cuisine.
Here is a list of ingredients that you will need to make the mouthwatering Arroz Con Pollo recipe:
- 1 whole chicken or 6-8 chicken thighs
- 2 cups medium grain rice
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 2 cups chicken broth or water
- 1/4 cup cooking wine
- 1/4 cup beer
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lg can of peas and pimentos (or fresh if you prefer)
- Saffron threads for color and flavor
- fresh herbs such as cilantro or parsley for garnish
The Recipe How-To
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Step 1: Brown The Chicken
In a large pot, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Season the 3 pounds of chicken thighs with salt and pepper then brown on both sides for about 8-10 minutes.
Step 2: Sauté the Aromatics
To the pot, add 1 chopped onion, 1 chopped bell pepper, and 3 minced garlic cloves. Sauté until they are soft and fragrant.
Step 3: Add the Rice
Stir in one pound of medium-grain rice to coat evenly with the aromatics, then sauté for about three minutes.
Step 4: Add the Liquids and Seasoning
Add 2 cups chicken broth, 1 cup cooking wine, and 1 chicken bouillon cube. Stir everything together, making sure that the bouillon cube has dissolved.
Mix in 1/4 teaspoon of cumin and 1/4 teaspoon of paprika into the pot.
Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat and let it cook for a minute or two.
Step 5: Cook The Chicken and Rice Mixture
Add back in your browned chicken, giving everything a stir to make sure that all the chicken pieces are fully coated with liquid. Reduce heat to low then cover and simmer for about 20-25 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated from the pot.
Stir in one can of drained peas (14 ounces), one jar diced pimentos (4 ounce), give everything a quick stir before covering again with lid let topped on for another additional ten minutes until rice is fully cooked .
Step 6: Serve
Serve hot and enjoy the flavors of Puerto Rico and Cuba all in one pot!
Substitutions and Variations
While Arroz con Pollo is a classic dish made with specific ingredients, there are several ways to add a personal touch to this flavorful recipe. Here are some substitutions you can make without losing the essence of the dish:
– Chicken thighs: This recipe calls for a whole chicken or chicken breasts, but you can also use bone-in chicken thighs for a juicier and more tender meat.
– Brown rice: While medium-grain rice is the traditional choice for arroz con pollo, you can swap it for brown rice for a healthier option. Keep in mind that brown rice takes longer to cook than yellow rice, so adjust the cooking time accordingly.
– Beer: Some recipes for arroz con pollo include beer as an ingredient for added flavor. If you don’t have beer on hand or prefer not to use it, you can substitute it with chicken broth or water.
– Vegetables: While peas and pimentos are the go-to vegetables in this recipe, you can add other veggies such as corn, carrots, or green beans. Just be mindful of cooking times and adjust them based on the vegetable you choose.
– Pressure cooker: If you’re short on time and want to speed up the cooking process, consider using a pressure cooker instead of a pot. You’ll have dinner on the table in no time!
– Baked chicken or casserole: For a twist on the classic presentation of arroz con pollo, consider baking the dish or turning it into a casserole by layering cooked chicken and yellow rice into a baking dish and topping it with cheese before baking it in the oven.
Remember that these substitutions will change the flavor profile slightly, but they won’t take away from the essence of this delicious dish. Try experimenting with different variations until you find your perfect Arroz con Pollo recipe!
Serving and Pairing
The beauty of Arroz Con Pollo lies not only in its flavour but also in its versatility. This classic dish made with yellow rice and chicken can easily be served as a one-pot meal or can be accompanied by other dishes.
To serve as a one-pot meal, ladle a generous helping of the Arroz Con Pollo onto a plate, making sure to include plenty of the succulent chicken pieces and vibrant yellow rice. Serve hot and enjoy the dish’s aroma and flavour.
For an enhanced dining experience, pair this Puerto Rican and Cuban favourite with a cold beer or a crisp white wine like Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc, which will cut through the richness of the dish. Add some texture to your plate by serving garlic bread or plantains on the side.
This chicken recipe is also perfect for entertaining, whether it be a casual get-together with friends or family dinner party, it has something for everyone’s taste buds. For an added twist, serve this delicious Arroz Con Pollo over Spanish rice to add more flavour or serve as a rice casserole, topped with baked chicken breasts for a unique take on this classic dish.
In conclusion, this colourful and flavourful dish pairs well with both light and rich accompaniments and lends itself well to creative experimentation. So go ahead and have fun serving it up with your favourite sides and drinks to create an unforgettable dining experience.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Arroz Con Pollo is a fantastic make-ahead meal that can be conveniently reheated for days to come. To store, allow the dish to cool down before transferring it to an airtight container. You can store the cooked rice and chicken separately, or mix them together in the same container to save space.
When reheating the dish, gently heat it on medium heat with a little bit of chicken stock or water until the desired temperature is reached. Avoid overheating it or cooking it for too long as this may dry out the rice or overcook the chicken.
Another great option for reheating this dish is by using a pressure cooker. Add a small amount of water to prevent scorching and build up pressure until heated through. This method will result in moist and tender chicken and perfectly cooked, fluffy rice.
If you’re planning on making this dish ahead of time, consider preparing everything separately and assembling it just before serving. You can cook the rice and the chicken in advance, then store them separately, which allows you to control the texture and moisture level.
In conclusion, Arroz Con Pollo is a versatile meal that can be conveniently stored and reheated. By following these simple tips, you can enjoy this classic Puerto Rican or Cuban dish anytime, anywhere!
Tips for Perfect Results
When it comes to preparing arroz con pollo, there are a few tips that can help you achieve perfect results every time. Here are some simple yet effective tips to keep in mind:
1. Use medium-grain rice: Medium-grain rice is the preferred type of rice for arroz con pollo as it absorbs liquid well and stays moist but not sticky.
2. Brown the chicken first: Before adding it to the pot, brown the chicken first. This helps to seal in juices and adds an extra layer of flavor to the dish.
3. Use a bouillon cube: A chicken bouillon cube can add extra flavor and depth to the dish without overwhelming it with salt.
4. Let the rice cook undisturbed: Once you’ve added the rice to the pot, resist the urge to stir too much. Let it cook undisturbed until tender and fully cooked.
5. Add beer or cooking wine: Adding a splash of beer or cooking wine can help balance out flavors and add richness to the dish.
6. Adjust seasoning at the end: Taste the dish towards the end of cooking and adjust seasoning as needed with salt, pepper, or other spices.
By following these tips, you can ensure your Arroz Con Pollo turns out perfectly every time!
In conclusion, the Arroz Con Pollo recipe is a perfect dish for anyone who loves hearty meals with flavors that blend together seamlessly. This dish can transport you to Puerto Rico, Cuba, or any Spanish-speaking country where this dish is cherished. By following the recipe instructions, you can guarantee a finger-licking meal that will leave your taste buds craving for more.
Not only is this recipe easy to make, but it’s also customizable to your taste preferences. You can play around with the spices to make it more or less spicy, swap out ingredients like chicken thighs for chicken breasts or add in some vegetables like tomatoes or corn. The options are endless.
I highly recommend this dish to anyone who wants to try something new in the kitchen or loves comfort food with a Latin-American twist. Whether you’re cooking for family and friends or want to enjoy a flavorful dinner by yourself, Arroz Con Pollo is an excellent choice.
In summary, this one-pot recipe is a crowd-pleaser for its rich flavors and its ability to feed many mouths without compromising on taste. So go ahead and give it a try! I assure you that it’s worth the effort and time invested.
Arroz Con Pollo - Yellow Rice & Chicken Recipe
- 1 whole chicken, cut up
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces pimentos or 8 ounces red peppers, sliced into strips
- 8 ounces peas, drained
- 1/2 cup cooking wine
- 2 teaspoons bijol seasoning
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 2 cups medium grain rice
- 12 ounces beer
- 2 teaspoons complete seasoning
- Season chicken with complete seasoning or you can just use salt and pepper
- Fry chicken skin side down in small amount of oil until lightly browned.
- Dice up onion and bell pepper and chop garlic.
- Add the onion,pepper and garlic to pot with 1/2 cup of cooking wine and the bullion cube.
- Cover and cook until chicken is done.
- Add rice and the can of beer and the 2 teaspoons of bijol, return to a boil then lower heat to simmer and cover pot for about 20 minutes until rice is cooked . You can add more beer or wine if needed.Stir in peas and garnish with the strips of pimento.
Add Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Dora is a chef well-versed in Brazilian and American cuisine. After a hard day's work in the kitchen of her restaurant, she finds the time to jot down recipes for her food blog. Her recipes are sure to delight foodies everywhere, as she strives to make each one unique and enjoyable to read.