As I sit down to write this recipe article, I can’t help but feel a sense of excitement wash over me. Why, you ask? Well, that’s because today we’re diving into one of my absolute favorite dishes – the Arroz Con Pollo With Salsa Verde (Rice and Chicken Casserole) recipe.
This dish is a harmonious blend of two rich and flavorful cultures – Brazilian and American cuisine – and the outcome is absolutely delicious. The combination of tender chicken, fluffy rice, and zesty salsa verde makes for a one-of-a-kind taste explosion that leaves you wanting more with every bite.
Whether you’re in need of a hearty dinner for the family or hosting a dinner party with friends, this dish will impress even the most discerning palates. So, join me as we explore the magic of this traditional dish and unleash our inner chefs!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Listen up, foodies! Have you been hankering for a meal that’s full of flavor and easy to make? Look no further than this scrumptious arroz con pollo with salsa verde recipe. Trust me, as a chef specializing in both Brazilian and American cuisine, I know what I’m talking about.
First off, let’s talk about the chicken. Seasoned to perfection with cayenne, Hungarian paprika, Mexican oregano, and ground cumin, these chicken pieces will have your taste buds dancing salsa. Tossed in a pan with red bell pepper and chorizo sausage in olive oil until cooked through, they provide a depth of flavor that you won’t find in your average chicken dish.
And what better complement to the succulent chicken than perfectly cooked basmati rice? Flavored with bay leaves and sautéed with sweet onion and garlic, this rice dish is the ideal partner for the pollo.
But it’s not over yet—oh no! The pièce de résistance is the salsa verde that accompanies this delicious meal. Made with ripe tomatoes, fresh cilantro and lime juice to create a perfectly balanced tangy and savory sauce that simply complements the chicken-rice casserole perfectly.
This one-pan wonder has all the makings of an unforgettable meal. So go on and give this arroz con pollo with salsa verde recipe your all. Because trust me, once you taste it you’ll always come back for more – Mexican food never tasted so good!
Let’s gather all the ingredients that we need for this delicious Arroz con Pollo with Salsa Verde recipe. It requires a variety of spices, fresh produce, chicken, and basmati rice. Here’s what you need:
Chicken and Rice:
- 2 pounds chicken pieces, bone-in skin-on
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 3 cups of water
- 3 cups of chicken broth
Vegetables and Spices:
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ cup of chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 can diced tomatoes, (14 oz)
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch of fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- Cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes to taste (optional)
- ¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil
This recipe calls for a mix of classic Latin spices, so if you don’t have one of them on hand, feel free to substitute it with a similar spice. Just make sure to follow the recipe specifics when measuring out the spice proportions.
The Recipe How-To
Now, it’s time to dig into the recipe itself! Don’t worry, even if you’re a beginner chef, this classic dish is not difficult to make. So, grab your apron and let’s 【 Get Cooking! 】
Step 1: Preparing The Ingredients
First things first, we’ll start by 【preparing the ingredients】. Rinse and dry 4 cups of 【basmati rice】 and set it aside. Then, season the 【chicken pieces】 with cayenne, Hungarian paprika, Mexican oregano, ground cumin, fresh ground black pepper, and a healthy amount of salt. Be sure to give it all a good mix and set it aside.
Step 2: Sautéing The Vegetables
In a large pot over medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons of 【olive oil】. Once heated, add in the 【chorizo sausage】, diced 【sweet onion】, diced 【red bell pepper】, and minced 【garlic】. Sauté them all together until they begin to soften.
Step 3: Cooking The Chicken
Next, add in the seasoned chicken into the pot with the vegetables. Cook them on medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until browned.
Step 4: Rice Time!
Add rice in with the chicken and vegetables, stir together until fully coated in oil then cook for 1-2 minutes.
Step 5: Add Liquids & Bay Leaves
Pour in enough water to come up almost to your middle finger joint when you place your finger vertically atop the rice mixture. Add 【bay leaves】 into the pot.
Step 6: Cover & Simmer Rice
Cover pot and bring water to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes or until cooked through.
Step 7: Preparing The Salsa Verde
While your rice and chicken bake, prepare the 【salsa verde】 by blending together tomatillos, fresh 【cilantro】, jalapeños, lime juice, and salt & pepper to taste.
Step 8: Plating
When your pot is cooked through, take it off the stove and give it a good stir. If there is still any liquid left, remove the lid and let the dish sit for an additional 5 minutes to absorb the rest. Serve hot with chunky spoonfuls of 【salsa verde】 over the top. Enjoy!
Now that you know how to make a traditional Arroz con Pollo with Salsa Verde recipe, you’ll be sure to impress your friends and family!
Substitutions and Variations
Alright, let’s get creative with this recipe! There are so many ways to make this arroz con pollo with salsa verde your own. Here are some suggestions for substituting or varying ingredients:
– Instead of basmati rice, try using saffron rice (this will give it a Cuban flair), or even white rice.
– Don’t have chorizo sausage on hand? No problem! You can use any other spicy sausage, like andouille or even Italian sausage. Or, leave out the sausage altogether for a vegetarian dish.
– For the salsa verde, you can use any green sauce you like. If you can’t find tomatillos, try using green tomatoes instead, which are easier to come by in some regions.
– You can switch up the spices to make it more Peruvian or Mexican-inspired. Paprika and cumin give it a Mexican touch, while oregano and black pepper lean more towards Peru. Feel free to play around with the spice combination until you find what works best for you and your palate.
Remember, there are many versions of arroz con pollo throughout Latin America and the Caribbean, so don’t be afraid to experiment and add your own personal touch. This recipe is nothing short of versatile and a great way to showcase diverse flavors from across the continent of Latin America.
So take these suggestions as an invitation to get creative with your cooking!
Serving and Pairing
There are few things more satisfying than enjoying a delicious meal with the perfect accompaniment. When it comes to Arroz Con Pollo with Salsa Verde, there are several options for pairing this savory dish.
To start, I recommend keeping it simple with a side of steamed veggies such as carrots or broccoli. The crispness of these vegetables will complement the rich, saucy flavors of the chicken and rice dish. Additionally, you can serve this dish alongside a light, green salad for a fresh and refreshing option.
Another way to elevate this dish is by pairing it with a refreshing beverage such as an ice-cold beer or a glass of crisp white wine. A Mexican cerveza or Peruvian pilsner will do the trick if you’re in the mood for something light and refreshing. A Sauvignon Blanc from Argentina would also be an excellent option to balance out the richness of the chicken and rice.
If you’re looking to embrace ‘la vida loca’, why not create a full Latin feast? Crank up some salsa music and serve traditional Hispanic sides such as beans, guacamole or Elote (Mexican street corn) to enhance your meal experience.? You can even try making some wet burritos topped with green sauce (salsa verde) to accompany this dish and transport yourself to the colorful streets of Puerto Rico or Cuba.
Lastly, don’t forget about dessert! A light fruit salad with fresh mango or pineapple chunks would be a perfect way to end the meal on a sweet note. Or if you’re feeling indulgent, go for a classic flan or tres leches cake to round out your meal.
No matter how you decide to serve and pair your chicken and rice casserole cooked the Spanish style, be sure to enjoy it with family and friends because after all food tastes better when it’s shared.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Now, I know that sometimes we don’t have enough time to prepare a full meal, or that we have leftovers in the fridge. Don’t worry, I’ve got you covered. This arroz con pollo and salsa verde casserole is easy to make ahead, store, and reheat.
If you want to make this dish ahead of time for a party or a busy weeknight, you can prepare it up to 24 hours in advance. Just prepare the whole dish as instructed and cover it tightly with aluminum foil or plastic wrap. Then store it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to bake it. Once you’re ready to cook it, just remove the cover and bake as directed.
As for storing leftovers of this recipe, you can place them in an airtight container and store them in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. To reheat them, just place them in the microwave or a preheated oven (at 350°F) until heated through.
But there’s one thing you should keep in mind: rice dishes tend to dry out easily when reheated. To prevent this, add a sprinkle of water before reheating it so that it retains that perfect consistency.
In summary, you can easily make this arroz con pollo with salsa verde casserole ahead of time, store it in the fridge for a few days, and reheat it without any fuss. You’ll still get that delicious flavor every single time!
Tips for Perfect Results
As a chef who specializes in Brazilian and American cuisine, I’ve learned that the smallest changes can make all the difference when it comes to a delicious meal. Here are some tips to ensure you get the best possible results when making Arroz Con Pollo with Salsa Verde:
1. Use High-Quality Ingredients: The ingredients used for this recipe are simple but amazing. Make sure to use fresh herbs, spices, and high-quality chicken pieces for the best taste results.
2. Cook Rice Separately: Cooking rice separately from your chicken and vegetables will prevent excess moisture from ending up in your casserole. This will make sure that your rice remains fluffy and doesn’t turn out mushy.
3. Be Generous with Olive Oil: Olive oil is crucial to enhance the flavors of this dish, so be generous when pouring it on the pan. I recommend using extra-virgin olive oil for that extra layer of flavor.
4. Don’t Overcook Your Chicken: Overcooking chicken will result in dry and tough meat, which is not what you want for this recipe. To prevent overcooked chicken, cook it until it turns white on the outside and then let it simmer on low heat until it reaches its internal temperature (165°F).
5. Let It Rest: Once you finish cooking your dish, resist the urge to dig straight in! Letting the dish rest for at least ten minutes will allow flavors to meld together and ensure a better texture.
6. Adjust Seasoning: Tasting your food as you cook is essential to making sure your seasoning is spot on. Adjust salt, pepper or spices throughout the cooking process to create a depth of flavor.
7. Garnish with Fresh Herbs: This recipe calls for fresh cilantro and lime juice which adds zestiness and flavor depth to the arroz con pollo salsa verde. Make sure you have enough to sprinkle more over each individual serving.
By following these tips, you’ll ensure that your Arroz Con Pollo with Salsa Verde is always the best it can be – full of flavor and delicious to eat.
Ladies and gentlemen, I have to tell you – if you haven’t tried arroz con pollo with salsa verde recipe yet, then you haven’t lived!
This dish is a hearty and flavorful mix of rice and chicken that will tantalize your palate with its bold spices and tantalizing aromas. It’s a perfect meal to satisfy your hunger and delight your taste buds all at once.
With this recipe, you’ll have everything you need to create a truly authentic arroz con pollo with salsa verde dish that is guaranteed to please. All you need to do is gather the ingredients, follow the instructions, and let your culinary skills do the rest.
So what are you waiting for? The next time you’re craving something delicious and filling, reach for this recipe and enjoy the very best of Brazilian and American cuisine in one unforgettable dish. Trust me; Once you try it, there’s no going back!
Thank you for reading!
Arroz Con Pollo With Salsa Verde (Rice and Chicken Casserole) Recipe
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 teaspoons fresh ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Mexican oregano (Not as sweet as the Mediterrean)
- 2 teaspoons real Hungarian paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 -10 boneless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb dry chorizo sausage, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded,chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 3 cups chicken stock, warm (Homemade is best)
- 1 cup pimento stuffed olive
- 1 -2 jalapeno, seeded,devained,minced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup blanched almond, toasted
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lime, juice of
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix spice paste in a small bowl.
- Wash Chicken, pat dry.
- Rub chicken with spice paste, refrigerate 30 minutes, 60 is better.
- In a dutch oven heat remaining Oil over medium heat.
- Fry Chorizo'til crisp, remove, dry on paper towel.
- Add Chicken, skin side down, brown well on all sides.
- Remove, drain on paper towel.
- Make a sofrito, saute the Onion, Garlic, Bell Pepper, and Bay leaves'til they are almost disolved.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Stir in Rice, coat well with sofrito.
- Add Tomatoes and Stock.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place Chorizo and Chicken on top of rice mixture.
- Bring to a boil, simmer 5 minutes.
- Cover pot, transfer to oven.
- Bake 20 minutes'til rice is done and has absorbed the liquid.
- Puree all salsa ingredients'til smooth.
- Garnish Arroz con Pollo with Salsa Verde and Green Olives just before serving.
Add Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Dora is a chef well-versed in Brazilian and American cuisine. After a hard day's work in the kitchen of her restaurant, she finds the time to jot down recipes for her food blog. Her recipes are sure to delight foodies everywhere, as she strives to make each one unique and enjoyable to read.